Help wanted on prices to sell from an estate

Hugh Flynn

Hi

This has been given the approval from A York , Thanks Andy

This lot was passed to our club to sell from an estate (all money back to them) what I am after is values.

I know nothing about loco,s only they all work but some want a service.

I have numbered so you can respond.

Thanks in advance

Hugh

post-7432-0-03104900-1358114818.jpg

It's hard to value without knowing the make and even so dependant on demand/rarity/etc. Even the professionals get it wrong (see Vectis etc websites).

My guess is that 3 and 7 are Bachmann, but I could be wrong. 6 is Fleischmann, but I've no idea as to value.

Possibly eBay is your best bet.

EDIT for senior moment (Missing letters)

Hugh

I am with David on the idea Ebay may be the best place to sell them, in terms of exposure to the highest possiable audience and reasonable fees to maximise the highest net sales. The market finds its own level and Ebay is as good (if not better) as anywhere  else to obtain the maximum return

You could sell to a dealer, but he has to make a profit so returns will be low

You could go to an auction house, but looking at a well known auction site they want 20% commission from both the buyer and seller, and when bidding at an auction I set my maximum price less commission, In the end the seller sees 40% taken from the total the buyer pays. And you have a limited audience

Like it or not (and some folk detest Ebay) Ebay will offer the best return but some effort will have to be put in to the sale process. The 1st listing will take the longest, as this will form your template for additional items and items then can be listed quite quickly

Golden rules

Good Clear photo(s)

Detailed title of whats being sold

Clear description of what is on sale

Listed in the correct category, and correct manufacturer

Ending on a weekend afternoon or evening

Look at how others are listing their items, and postage charges

With postage work out how much it will cost, I add an extra £1 or so to cover packing material costs and it reduces part of the fees

If possiable sell on listing fee free weekends as this allows you to set a minimum price without incuring any listing fees

Ebay charges 10% selling fee (postage is zero commission) Paypal I think is 20p plus 3% of total money transfered. Far less that the total auction costs and a much higher payment than from a dealer.

Do give it a go, it can be quite rewarding as well as a bit of fun

• RMweb Gold

I realise you are looking for a 'simple' sale at a show but I really think that to secure best value you'd be better advised to go the Ebay or (decent) auction house route.  And if you are anywhere near a good auction house they would also give you a valuation - the good ones will do so without charge especially if they sense the possibility of some business.

Archived