Triangular Allan Keys to release Oxford Diecast from base?

Hi

I recently purchased the 00 scale orange Hoveringham lorry from the Oxford range and found that, instead of the usual screws holding the model to the plastic base, it was held by screws with a triangular indentation on the head.

I could find nothing in my tool box that came close to removing these screws and I had to resort to sawing them off!

I have now purchased another model that has the same fixings and I am loathed to get the hacksaw blade out again. Has anyone any idea where one might buy triangular shaped allan keys or a screw driver with a similar shaped end?

I've been to B&Q but no luck there.

Thanks

Tim

They're called tri-wing screws. You can buy a "security" set on ebay. Includes various sizes, as well as other bits you'll probably never need! Incidentally, I managed to release the screws you mention using a jewellers flat head bit, it just needs to be a tight fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-PIECE-SCREWDRIVER-SECURITY-TORX-BIT-SET-TAMPER-PROOF-TAMPER-HEX-/150783655314?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item231b67fd92

Pete.

It sounds like one of the security bits for use in magnetic holder screwdriver. Packs of these are often obtainable quite reasonably priced on market hardware stalls or in pound shops or better quality ones from Maplin and such. These packs often have a selection of the more unusual bits. Over the years I picked them up when I've seen them and have quite a selection. They don't get used very often but when they are needed ...............!!!!!

A friend bought a military kit with the same screw. I filed down a cheap 6 point tool "star" tool tip. It was easy because the six points give a perfect alignment for the three points of the triangular tip needed. Essentially you are removing alternate points of the star. Here in Canada they are called Torx tips. I assume they are everywhere now because the Japanese and Korean manufacturers use them on cars. Halfords? 

A nail would provide a starting point for filing - I doubt the screws are tight enough to require anything tougher*. A Torx bit is likely to be hard metal and need grinding - possibly one place where cheap and nasty tools would be a good idea. (French car manufacturers are keen on them too!)

*I must investigate the two I bought recently, they're still in the packaging.

Unasked and unansweded was: why do they need such secure screws on a product intended to be taken apart by duffers?

I'd assume that there are advantages for their production machinery, although what those would be over a conventional hex or torx socket I can't think.

I suspect they're a standard Chinese (security?) screw. The same things are used to screw together the toys from a famous burger chain. A suitably sized screwdriver will usually shift them (or drill them out).

• RMweb Premium

I suspect they're a standard Chinese (security?) screw. The same things are used to screw together the toys from a famous burger chain. A suitably sized screwdriver will usually shift them (or drill them out).

Didn't you know, they have one Chinese factory working out new screws to hold stuff together, thus preventing US from providing a simple fix. Across town, there are a dozen factories, mass producing kits of various tools with 50 or more bits, to sell to the Western World. Of course within 2 years, the whole lot needs replacing, because the 2 bits you actually used more than once, have gone AWOL, thus making the set useless.

Archived