Duchess in 1948 loco trials

Edge

Hello there guys.

I've recent come int ownership of a Hornby 'Bude' with a stanier tender as she was in the 1948 loco trials, and it jogged m memory. I see m to remember that a Duchess and a Jubilee ran on the southern with WD 2-8-0 tenders.

I also seem to recall that there was an article in the last few years in one of the magazines about how to go about doing it. Can anyone recall what issue of what magazine it actually was?

Any further comments on the actual event, the potential pitfalls of trying it etc would be gratefully received

Ta,

Edge

• RMweb Gold

Not really as each locomotive was prepared for the trails on their own region, rather than centrally, and also the various trails on different lines were on different dates spread between May and September 1948.

Wouldn't it have been more logical for it to use Bude's tender (or wasn't this concurrent with Bude's stay on the LMR)?

No.  The Duchess tender had 10 tons of coal and 4000 Gals of water.  The Austerity tender had 9 tons of coal and 5000 gallons of water.  The normal tender behind Bude had 4500 gallons of water but only 5 tons of coal. (It got a Stanier 9 ton 4000 gallon tender during the trials).  A MN 6000 gallon tender might have worked for the Duchess.

Archived