Source of spoked pulley wheels?

• RMweb Gold

I'm scratchbuilding one or two GWR shed cranes and need some spoked pulley wheels - but can't seem to find a supplier. Does anyone know a source?

Brass would be best, but quality plastic ones might do.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Mikkel.

What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25g-Watch-parts-ARTS-CRAFTS-STEAMPUNK-ALTERED-CYBERPUNK-gears-wheels-findings-/200704387330?pt=UK_Crafts_Embellishments_SM&hash=item2ebae9e902

I have a bag and I know they will come in useful someday! They could easily be 'converted' into a pulley.

Missy :)

I'm also going to need something like this soon. Missy's clock parts look like a good bet, though Maily Trains do an etch of cab detailing parts:

MT227 (Mainly Trains) Loco Etched Detailing Set 1 Levers Handles etc

Most are far too small for cranes, though useful for cabs, but the largest ones are 5.2 to 6.4mm diameter, including some nice ones with curly spokes. Perhaps something could be done by laminating two or three together?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

there is a marine modellers on ebay. something like coopers of bridlington that do model pulleys.

Thanks firefly. I couldn't find them despite trying various search terms. Any chance you have the address bookmarked?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to follow up on this, I ordered the watchmaker's parts suggested by Missy. 

I fear my own limited metal working skills (-and tools) did not do full justice to their potential  as pulley wheels, but there is in any case a lot of scope for using them as gear wheels etc.

More details of my little experiment with these parts here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-11064-a-tall-bird-from-paddington/

Archived