Leicester workings and understanding headcodes?

Hello all,

Since I just got back into railway photos, I am taking a keen interest in photographing trains in and around leicester in some good spots. What I need to know is, what are the regular workings, times etc, I have downloaded a long list of freight stuff from Network rail but find it confusing!

Anyway, I also want to take freight photos and unusual diversions and stuff, how do I find out about these? Also does anyone know various freight workings in and around leicester? even if they are just passing through?

Also has anyone got a table or guide to decode the Four digit headcodes? I know that there are regional differences on the meanings of different characters but I am struggling to locate them, I have searched many a forum and they just give generic ones... which really isn;t much good to me!

many thanks,

Bruce

Hello all,

Since I just got back into railway photos, I am taking a keen interest in photographing trains in and around leicester in some good spots. What I need to know is, what are the regular workings, times etc, I have downloaded a long list of freight stuff from Network rail but find it confusing!

Anyway, I also want to take freight photos and unusual diversions and stuff, how do I find out about these? Also does anyone know various freight workings in and around leicester? even if they are just passing through?

Also has anyone got a table or guide to decode the Four digit headcodes? I know that there are regional differences on the meanings of different characters but I am struggling to locate them, I have searched many a forum and they just give generic ones... which really isn;t much good to me!

many thanks,

Bruce

I'm guessing you are referring to current operations in the Leicester area ?

WTT numbers have changed a little over the years - "F" being the traditional letter for Leicester area. "C" was for the London St Pancras area, "D" for Nottingham and Toton, "P" for Derby, and "G" for the West Midlands.

More recently, the XC BHM-LEI service has become "K" to Leicester and "P" to Birmingham, whilst the through services are "L" to Anglia and "N" from Anglia to Birmingham.

Examples are 1P00 for the first LEI-BHM, 1K23 for a BHM-LEI, 1L44 for a BHM-SSD and 1N65 for an SSD-BHM

BHM = Birmingham New St, LEI = Leicester, SSD = Stansted Airport

HTH

EDIT

Stone trains from the Mountsorrel area over to the east are 6Lxx, and I am guessing the return services are 6Mxx, but have no evidence of that. The recent derailment at Barrow on Soar was 6L73 02:15 Peak Forest - Ely, with 20 bogie hoppers. Not actually touching Leicester this train normally runs off the Up MML via the Syston Jns.

Hi Bruce - if you want to photograph the stone traffic working in and out of Bardon Hill and Stud Farm Quarries then Wigston would be a good vantage point, specifically the main overbridge where the station used to be. The loaded trains go down late at night or in the wee small hours, but the empties usually come back the following afternoon and often run late due to pathing problems in the London area... a couple of examples...

6V48 Bardon Hill - Thorney Mill (on the old Staines Branch) dep. approx 02.00, returns as 6M54 the following day and is booked to pass Wigston at around 16.15. You can spot this train easily as it usually runs with 26 wagons, the others usually have just 20 on.

6059 Bardon Hill - Angerstein Wharf dep. approx 01.00 - 02.00, returns as 6M79 the following day, booked past Wigston at around 17.00.

There's also one from Mountsorrel which heads south rather than east, it's 6C45 03.00 to Luton, returning the same day as 6D79 13.08 or 15.45 to Mountsorrel, this is the Lafarge self discharge train.

Hope that helps ;o)

My pleasure mate - the Luton Lafarge job often runs out of path, it's usually booked to leave Luton at 15.45, but being as it's usually unloaded by midday we give on to West Hampstead Panel and try to get an early run back north... sometimes they let it depart in it's old path of 13.08. Makes our day a lot easier as once we've dumped the wagons at 'Sorrel it's often a nightmare taking the loco back light to Bardon Hill!

;o)

Hi Bruce,

Headcodes for EMT passenger services at Leicester are as follows:

1Bxx from Nottingham to St Pancras

1Cxx from Sheffield/Derby to St Pancras

1Dxx from St Pancras to Nottingham

1Fxx from St Pancras to Sheffield/Derby

2Lxx Ivanhow services between Leicester and Lincoln

The differences between the mainline services are generally to differentiate between services at Trent South Junction. Generally, the third and fourth digits are numbered consecutively for movements at St Pancras, although there are a few services which are shown out of pattern to distinguish an abnormal stopping pattern eg. there is a morning up train with headcode 1C93 (which should be 1C13 in the pattern) because it calls at Bedford.

Most EMT Local services were modified around the start of the current franchise to reflect a different letter code for each service group.

Mike

Archived