The Weymouth Harbour Tramway in the DIESEL Era

John Oxlade

Not really.

As a kid we spent a week most summers with my aunt in Weymouth and I remember trains on the quay, but they'd virtually gone by the time I had a camera of my own and the opportunity to photograph them.

I come from a railway-family, so I have trains in my blood, and I am a bit of a bookworm too, so, I'd just like to study all I can on the route, its operation, etc., and being a child of the early TOPS era, it really needs to be diesels.

Before they let Cromptons down there, I think (?) they used 03s, but not sure. I've seen plenty of photos of steam-era freight, but what sort of freight traffic (if any) ran down there later? That sort of thing.

Thanks for the book tip, I feel an urge to spend some money! :-)

John

Hi,

The book is worth getting and is probably the definitive work on the tramway, Gerry's excellent book not withstanding.

Green Drewry's were the first diesels used and were joined by BR 204hp's (03's) When steam finished  a handful of Class 12's  - Bulleid's version of the 350hp shunter - were based at Bournemouth with a couple stationed at Weymouth and used on the tram. They didn't last long but were used because they were air braked. These were replaced by dual braked 03's both pre-tops and tops number. Don't forget that Western DMMU's ran down the quay.

Perishable van traffic continued into the 70's but was getting less common.

HTH

Stu

• 7 months later...

Hi John,

Like yourself I spent summer holidays with my parents at Weymouth we used to stay in a B&B on Cromwell Road out towards Westham it seemed a long way from the station when you had little legs. I am still very interested in the Tramway and any information on the workings or if anyone has any photographs I would be interested to hear from them. I also spent time on the foot bridge which over looked the old steam shed and spent hours at the quay watching the cargo cranes great days. I went back this summer the first time in thirty two years what changes !

Cheers

Gary

Archived