The Art of Photographing railway models

Coldgunner

As a result of trying some of my camera's functions. I'm hoping to get a thread going with the aim of trying things out and if they don't seem to quite work, post them anyway!

All of these are low light, low shutter speed...

8403515624_d1f9e0d1e4_c.jpg
DSCF4239 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

8403509056_b2e61927f4_c.jpg
DSCF4236 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

8403508242_892290d357_c.jpg
DSCF4229 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

8402416887_dab80195e0_c.jpg
bw fast by Coldgunner, on Flickr

8403507496_9c2a2f43be_c.jpg
highspeed by Coldgunner, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

a lot over exposed  !! however i like the idea and it looks good if struggling with light for time exposures during the day  try to pick up a cokin neutral density filter  it will knock off a few stops  for you giving more options during daylight

• 1 month later...

Often I'll take advantage of a bright day but no direct sunlight. And I use a piece of white board to bounce back into the shadow side. Varying degrees of success.

25956IMG_0470cattle_lorry.jpg

25662IMG_0013.jpg

25915IMG_0425_DGCCwagon.jpg

25674IMG_0031_HS.jpg

I've tried bounced flash and lamps with umbrellas, all too much and not realistic.

Sometimes just domestic lighting does the trick but I've rarely bothered to do a white balance!

25886IMG_0349_w1_GaragePumps.jpg

25890IMG_0363_w1WaterTower.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Coldgunner, what settings are you using for your indoor shots?  I use a Canon 40D and my starting point is ISO400  f20 for 1.6 secs - and then vary it depending on how the results come out.  I normally keep the curtains drawn and use just the domestic lighting.  In daytime the strength of light is much greater by the window than at the furthest point away as you can see from this test shot.

It was just trial and error that got me to this point balancing exposure with depth of field. (The signal cabin needs replanting, as does the privvy).

revScenicsa800px.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not entirely sure if I'm honest, I tend to let the camera do the automatic work, with my only setting the shutter speed/focal length. I'm still new to this.

Hi,

I'm not sure about what you want to achieve with this thread. If you want help with your photography, then we'll need to know details of your camera, post processing tools, how much time/effort/money you are prepared to spend, and of course what you wanted to achieve with the result. If you want to post snapshots, that's fine too. As an aside, have you any idea why your b&w shot is more attractive than the others?

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi,

I'm not sure about what you want to achieve with this thread. If you want help with your photography, then we'll need to know details of your camera, post processing tools, how much time/effort/money you are prepared to spend, and of course what you wanted to achieve with the result. If you want to post snapshots, that's fine too. As an aside, have you any idea why your b&w shot is more attractive than the others?

Best wishes,

Ray

My initial intention was a thread to try different things with my camera, with models being the subject. My camera is only a finepix s2950, so a bit limited on what I can achieve. But I could probably use some advice on getting high levels of detail on small models.

Hi,

The camera is adequate, some of your images are sharp, (high speed) some have the right colours, afaik - so it is quite usable. I looked up it's spec, http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/1/5/fujifilms2950

Now, as I asked earlier

have you any idea why your b&w shot is more attractive than the others?

(the image you've labelled 'bw fast') 

Best wishes,

Ray

Well, imho, it's taken from a 'good' angle - not side on or helicopter shot, nor 3/4 front. The motion is captured well, wrt blur, but the loco goes nicely out of focus towards the smoke box end. B&W is often used when colour is screwed up, but in this case b&w or sepia suggest 'steam age'.

Now, an exercise for you - put the loco on a bit of track, with a piece of plain grey sheet or some such background, (or make sure whatever is behind it is well out of focus). Hold the tender, and let the motor/wheels turn, and take some more shots, varying the aperture/speed settings. I think the result may look very much as if it was of a 12inch/foot scale, if that is what you want. The blurred con-rods, etc. possible hide the out-of-scale crank pin screws, etc.  A low viewpoint gives the impression of something bigger than you, as in a track-side photo of a full size loco, whereas  a high viewpoint makes the subject look small and toy like.

If, on your camera, you can set the focus to centre point, (or manual focus) then use that, and try varying the part of the loco you are focussing on - e.g. cab, nameplate, smokebox, with a wide aperture setting. For just that one set-up, expect to take fifty or so photo's - (I suggest you use a tripod), and decide what settings work for you. If you post your favourite three, I'll tell you what works for me, and why. You may not be able to get in close enough, but to start with, heavy cropping is OK to get a decent composition.

(Of course, the leading/trailing wheels won't be blurred, but that is one of the things that can be relatively easily fixed in post processing, and you can add steam and smoke, if you wish. You have to realise, that in digital photography, half the camera is in your pc. As in analogue film days, the image is improved by good processing)

Best wishes,

Ray

The rolling road is great for the aspect of motion, but of course its a massive visual obstacle that even the best photoshopping could not improve. I do have a decorated plank I can use, but I'm waiting for a day I can set up outside and use the natural light. I think part of the problem is that I need to learn some of the more advanced camera functions. I already have a tripod though, that goes wherever the camera goes.

btw, have a look here, for some simple tips  http://www.mccordall.com/photography/ (theoretically/technically, wrt how digital works, he's not quite right, but the practical stuff is OK). You don't need daylight for B&W, a desk-lamp will do. You can get a 'proper' daylight lamp bulb for about £6 -try a decent craft shop- used for sewing, etc., if you want to do colour. Jim explains about inverse square law, soft boxes, etc. No need for me to repeat.

Best wishes,

Ray

http://www.therange.co.uk/search?asug=&keywords=daylight+lamp#filters=wc_dept!arts_and_crafts&productsPerPage=16

Archived