Chat moss estate narrow gauge saloons

sir douglas

recently i was looking back through a book that ive got, that was published by the Industrial railway back in the 1980's about the chat moss and carrington estate railways.

At the end of the book it shows a goods van and the two saloons still surviving in private hands, although without the buffers, bogies and interoir

Now 30 years on, Do these three bodies still survive? because i cant find anything on the internet.

There was an article in the Railway Modeller sometime in the 70s with drawings and photos, plus the Narrow Gauge Railway Society publication about the narrow gauge railways of Manchester.  I think that the coaches ended-up as a holiday chalet at Borth, on the welsh coast.

I was told that the bodies of the coaches had been destroyed in a fire, but the bogies from one of the saloons survive and after passing through various owners are stored at the Apedale site belonging to the Moseley Railway Trust. I may have a photo of these somewhere - will look tonight when I get home.

Andy

Unfortunately I can't find the photo I thought I'd taken of the bogies. I'll try and remember to photograph them when I'm next at Apedale. I believe these are the coach bogies that were sold for preservation in 1976 according to the NGRS book on the Manchester railways.

I believe there are plans to build a replica of one of the bogie coaches using these, but it is very much a long-term personal project by one of the volunteers at Apedale.

Andy

Archived