On track plant numbering

While researching various types of on track plant for turning into possible models, a basic question has got me stumped: why don't tampers and MPVs etc have class numbers under TOPS? And what does DR stand for in front of the vehicle number?

Curious as why an MPV for example isn't a class 219 for example

David

While researching various types of on track plant for turning into possible models, a basic question has got me stumped: why don't tampers and MPVs etc have class numbers under TOPS? And what does DR stand for in front of the vehicle number?

Curious as why an MPV for example isn't a class 219 for example

David

From my time working in TOPS offices in the 1980s and 1990s I think the 'D' was for Departmental.

the 'R'  definitely at one time meant 'reportable (to TOPS)' though I don't ever remember

anyone actually phoning in to TOPS to report a tamper on the move!

Edit - and I think a DX prefix meant 'departmental not reportable to TOPS'.

Other on-track plant like cranes and ballast cleaners that would be hauled in a train were reported to TOPS.

cheers

Thinking further about this, and sticking my neck out a bit, from the 1980s  I seem to remember

that the third letter of the prefix, if there was one, referred to the maker of the plant, for example

DRP built by Plasser and Theurer

DRT built by Taylor and Hubbard

DRC built by Cowans Sheldon

cheers

I think the third letter only applies to cranes, and there was another letter to denote which department was responsible for said crane. ADRC is one that springs to mind.

You're spot on about the DR and DX, that's pretty much how I understand it too.

• RMweb Gold

The prefix A in ADRC was to denote that the owning department was Mechanical & Electrical Engineer, so all breakdown cranes built by Cowans Sheldon were ADRC, whereas those general purpose cranes owned by the Civil Engineers and built by Cowans were DRC.

As an aside, the numbers on cranes meant something too. Civil Engineers Cranes start with 8, the second digit was for the prime mover 0 = steam, 1 = diesel, the third digit means the power transmission  and capability as follows:-

0 = mechanical light duty

1 = mechanical heavy duty

2 = electric light duty

3 = electric heavy duty

4 = hydraulic light duty

5 = hydraulic heavy duty

I seem to recall that light duty is less than 10t maximum Safe Working Load (SWL).

Examples would be DRT 813XX is a Taylor Hubbard Diesel Electric with a SWL 10t or more, DRS 810XX is a Smiths Diesel Mechanical with a SWL less than 10t (not sure that there were any of the latter).

If you can get hold of the Platform 5 book Track Machines (1984-ish), there's a detailed explanation of the CEPS (Civil Engineers Plant System) numbering, covering the earlier DB965xxx numbering, as well as the 5-digit DR or DX prefixed system. Also even earlier regional numbering systems.

For example, to add to 96701's cranes post above, 

80xxx = CCE (chief civil engineer) steam crane

81xxx = CCE diesel crane

(not all the 8xxxx were cranes, e.g.

82xxx = Viaduct inspection unit

86xxx = Rail joint straighteners

etc...)

and

95xxx = CM&EE (chief mechanical & electrical engineer) steam crane

96xxx = CM&EE diesel crane

Other, more current books may well be available!

And there's a website with sightings and plenty of detail at http://www.ontrackplant.com/sightings

and this site lists number ranges: http://www.ltsv.com/w_ref_numbers_ceps.php

Archived