What year was this photo taken of City of Sheffield.?

250BOB

This is an old photograph taken on Crewe Works, of my Grandfather on the right, helping to fix, or possibly take off, the nameplate from 46249 City of Sheffield.

Does anyone have any idea how I might date the photograph by the detail or condition of the loco.?

Thanks........Bob.

post-21-0-02459400-1358979745_thumb.jpg

Cant help you at all Bob, but it sure is fine to see the the Sacred Name like that :) so thanks for posting the picture

Hi Mickey...how are the china clay wagons you bought from me.

Glad you liked the picture.......I absolutely treasure it as you might imagine.......just a pity my Grandad didnt sneak the plate home with him......I'm sure a lot of other stuff left the works under raincoats etc.,

Bob

It looks plain black to me which means just post war. Obviously a staged photo at Crewe Works so can someone can see when it went into shops after the war?

Tony

It was built in April 1944.......but they didnt have smoke deflectors fitted until 1945 I believe...so that could put it in those two years, 44/45...?

Its condition in the photograph also suggests to me that this was of the loco brand new......and as you suggest it could have been a staged photograph of the occasion it was having its nameplates fitted for the first time.?   If that is correct, it would date it as April 1944.

Bob.

Bob,

Slight correction City of Sheffield was 6249

Picture probably taken when the loco first came out of works. Built Crewe 19th April 1944, non-streamlined BUT with a streamlined tender. Received smoke deflectors and LMS Black (post war livery ?) November 1946.

Bob,

Slight correction City of Sheffield was 6249

Picture probably taken when the loco first came out of works. Built Crewe 19th April 1944, non-streamlined BUT with a streamlined tender. Received smoke deflectors and LMS Black (post war livery ?) November 1946.

Thankyou Derek......edited accordingly....and thankyou for those accurate dates.....it is looking like it could be when the loco was being outshopped as new in 1944.

Bob

Bob,

I think further possible reason for the photo is that 6249 was the first built of the non-streamlined locos (after the pre-war Duchesses 6230-34)

If the photo shows the 'plates being fitted for the first time, then how is it that there's a clearly-visible patch on the boiler cladding apparently marking where the 'plate has been?  If the photo showed the loco brand new, fresh out of the paintshop, surely that patch wouldn't be present - the boiler cladding would have been painted overall, wouldn't it?

Also, there's something about the paintwork - I don't know what it is, just a gut reaction - saying that although it's clean, it isn't factory-fresh.

I can't answer your question regarding date or occasion, but what the photo suggests to me is:

1.  the 'plate had been fitted for some time at the date of the photo and the boiler cladding had been cleaned around it

which in turn would imply:

2.  the photo shows the 'plate being removed rather than being fitted for the first time.

So  .  .  .  .  could it be that the 'plate is being removed immediately prior to fitting of smoke deflectors & subsequent repaint?  (November '46 according to DerekEm8)

She received the standard brass nameplates when new, but these were soon changed for stainless steel ones donated by either Sheffield Corporation or a group of Sheffield steel works. This presumably records th fitting of the new plates.

Somewhere I should have a date for this, but it elludes me at the present.

The answer is in J.W.P. Rowledge's 'The LMS Pacifics', page 18. 6249 took part in a naming ceremony in Sheffield on 1st November 1944. Stainless steel nameplates were made by Firth-Vickers Stainless Steels Ltd and fitted about two months after the ceremony. I suspect that this is what we see here.

Thank you enormously guys......your help in pin pointing the photograph date is very much appreciated.

And the suggestion that it is the fitting of the stainless steel plates that we are seeing does seem a very likely suggestion...and the photograph being taken for publicity purposes at that time.

So the loco would be about 9 months old when all this would have taken place.

Any other information that anyone else might have would be gratefully received....but many thanks so far for all your help. Its wonderful to start and build up a picture of this event, which happened 68 years ago.

Bob.

Archived