British railways in WWII

ollieholmes

Is there any good books on British railways in WWII? Im looking for inspiration for my first layout and having a great interest in military history id like to combine both.

These are some from the Clubs library list

Railways In Wartime CARTER Ernest F Frederick Muller 1964

Britain’s railways at war EARNSHAW Alan Atlantic Publishing, Renryn, Cornwall 1995

Steam in wartime Britain OLDHAM, Kenneth Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd, Stroud, Gloucestershire 1994

Wartime Woodhead, steam over the Woodhead line in the second world war OLDHAM, Kenneth Irwell Press Ltd, Clophill, Bedfordshire 2004

There is another waiting on me to catalogue it.

Paul Bartlett

In addition to the books mentioned above:

British Railways in peace and war, issued in 1944 by the British Railways press Office. In the same vein as the Stationmasters title.

More modern and only about the Southern Railways, but very informative: Southern Way - Special Issues Wartime Southern By Kevin Robertson, 2010, 3 books so far.

And, by the same author, Britain's Railways in Wartime, 2008

Sierd Jan

I Like "Return from Dunkirk Railways to the Rescue" it's a very specific time period but very detailed it's by Peter Taplow.

isbn978-085361697-9

The Q

For those in the London area, there was still at least one copy left in the sale at Foyles (50% off) on Tuesday evening (I'd bought a copy there the previous week!).

For solid facts, History of the British Railways during the War 1939-45 by R. Bell, published by The Railway Gazette in 1946.

There is also London Transport at War by Charles Graves, published by London Transport, ISBN 0 85329 089 X and War on the Line by Bernard Darwin, (re-)printed by Middleton Press, ISBN 0 906520 10 X.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Slightly off topic, but there is a book "Beyer Peacock & Co. Ltd. And Associated Companies WW2". This book covers the story of BP during the Second World War. Published by the company in May 1945.

Archived