London Midland - quicker trains on Trent Valley service

The current London Midland timetable has seen the introduction of an hourly off-peak service between Crewe and Euston with much improved timings. The service uses the direct route between Rugby and Wolverton rather than going round the Northampton loop. Additionally, the trains only make one stop between Rugby and Euston (at Milton Keynes). This results in a time saving of 22 minutes between these points, resulting in a typical journey time of 56 minutes from Rugby, which is pretty good (A Virgin pendolino takes about 50 minutes). Points north, such as Nuneaton, Stafford and Crewe also benefit. From what I can make out, off-peak tickets are the same price as for other services, though advance tickets seem to be slightly more expensive.

I haven't tried out the service yet, probably won't get an opportunity until March

Graham     

They're using Desiros geared for 110 mph, I believe, which means they can use the Fast lines throughout. I've used the existing services (100 mph max) on a couple of occasions; the run to Stoke seemed to involve standing in the platform at Stafford for quite a while, possibly for pathing purposes. It might allow them to have more productive turns from their drivers.

They're using Desiros geared for 110 mph, I believe, which means they can use the Fast lines throughout. I've used the existing services (100 mph max) on a couple of occasions; the run to Stoke seemed to involve standing in the platform at Stafford for quite a while, possibly for pathing purposes. It might allow them to have more productive turns from their drivers.

Yes they are using 110 mph units; I believe that LM have recruited more drivers recently, perhaps others on here can confirm this?  

• RMweb Gold

Yes we have recruited more drivers but they're not going to be fully qualified for another couple of months so I believe and there are another 2 intakes of trainee drivers courses this year the next one I believe will be in June I'm not sure on the 2nd course as yet.

The only 350's that have had the speed restriction raised to 110mph are the 350/1's the best version my opinon a far superior unit for comfort on the 2+2 seating and of course the capability of 3rd rail shoe gear for the southern region.

The plan is to have over compliment of Drivers and Guards at most of the depots within Londonmidland in time for retiring traincrew and when the franchise comes to and end there has to be a full compliment of traincrew or there is a hefty fine for the parent company leaving not enough traincrew for the next franchise holder.

Cov Guard 

• RMweb Gold

Just to clear up that the 350's haven't been regeared for 110mph running it's just the speed restriction on (TMS)Train Management System that has been raised and the Pantograph is an upgraded version of the Bracknell wills high speed pantograph.

Just to clear up that the 350's haven't been regeared for 110mph running it's just the speed restriction on (TMS)Train Management System that has been raised and the Pantograph is an upgraded version of the Bracknell wills high speed pantograph.

The bearings have been uprated in the traction motors as well according to the fitters at Kings Heath. Not sure why they haven't done the 350/2s as well to make it easier for diagramming. Though they do take an age to get from 100 to 110 uphill even if its a gentle rise. E.G. leave Watford on the down and you just make 110 at Hemel Hempstead OHNS at Bourne End then you have to bring it back down for 100 at Berkhamstead.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

BIzarre co-incidence.  I used this service yesterday to get from London to Crewe.

I hadn't realised it was a new thing but I must admit I was surprised when the 350 went via Watford Gap rather than Northampton - I'd only ever seen Virgin services there before; I just assumed I was out of touch!

The 2+2 seating was very comfortable and we were on time all the way - I think the 350s are very fine trains and I was very impressed with the service.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

The current London Midland timetable has seen the introduction of an hourly off-peak service between Crewe and Euston with much improved timings. The service uses the direct route between Rugby and Wolverton rather than going round the Northampton loop. Additionally, the trains only make one stop between Rugby and Euston (at Milton Keynes). This results in a time saving of 22 minutes between these points, resulting in a typical journey time of 56 minutes from Rugby, which is pretty good (A Virgin pendolino takes about 50 minutes). Points north, such as Nuneaton, Stafford and Crewe also benefit. From what I can make out, off-peak tickets are the same price as for other services, though advance tickets seem to be slightly more expensive.

Just to put this in perspective, ISTR when the wires first reached Euston, one of the mags commented on a trip - and said how surreal it seemed to pass Rugby in under an hour from Euston. Now here is a secondary service managing that with an intermediate stop at a station that didn't then exist!

Just to put this in perspective, ISTR when the wires first reached Euston, one of the mags commented on a trip - and said how surreal it seemed to pass Rugby in under an hour from Euston. Now here is a secondary service managing that with an intermediate stop at a station that didn't then exist!

For years in the 70's and 80's, the standard time for start-to-stop Rugby-Euston trains was about 1 hour.

Archived