Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Older Inspirational Layouts

• RMweb Premium

...and doesn't it still look great!

Buckingham remains possibly my greatest inspiration, and was probably what made me start this thread.  I'd love to have that sort of operational layout that is more than just one station.  Space doesn't allow unfortunately, especially since I joined the dark side of 7mm scale.

Tony did some time previously extend an invitation, but logistics are difficult, living on a rock in the Irish Sea as we do - annoyingly I won't be too far from him this weekend, but our time in the UK is fully spoken for, blast!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Rich

That last photo of the goods passing the junction.  I think the engine driver and signalman are in for  a rollicking; the train is signalled for the branch but the has taken the main line. I thought Buckingham had interlocking but am obviously wrong or was it just tempremental electronics?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

Rich

That last photo of the goods passing the junction.  I think the engine driver and signalman are in for  a rollicking; the train is signalled for the branch but the has taken the main line. I thought Buckingham had interlocking but am obviously wrong or was it just tempremental electronics?

There are quite a few jobs still outstanding to complete the restoration of Buckingham to tip top condition. The signalling at Grandborough Junction is one of them. There are only a few signals there that work properly, although the ones which switch the power to or from the Buckingham controller for through working are all working electrically.

There never was any interlocking in the frame.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Evening all,

Given the extent that Buckingham has been mentioned on here, this seemed the logical place to post some pictures!  Through a mutual friend, I was very pleased to accept an invitation to not only go and see Buckingham, but also have a running evening.  For a 70-year-old plus layout, I have to say it is a pleasure and privilege to operate and @t-b-g, @Laurie2mil and myself had a very enjoyable few hours attempting to run the timetable.  I can see why Tony has such pride in owning the layout - it is an historic and superb example of a model railway done right, everything is there for a reason, the electronics (while maybe temperamental at times) are ahead of their years, and its also jolly good fun!

Tony, was happy for some images to be taken, and equally happy for them to be posted in the public domain, so thanks to him for that.  I took quite a few, so may show some more in time if people want to see them (although Buckingham is well documented anyway!) but hopefully it gives people a glimpse in to a wonderful model world.  My thanks to Tony for the invite, and yes I'd love to come back!

Rich

IMG_2294.jpeg.6c1facb2c7845f543316b747386c70aa.jpeg

IMG_2295.jpeg.3429be7916f2d55c7c3b7e54da6f17fd.jpeg

IMG_2297.jpeg.c8cfd7f7773ce218b89616672d947543.jpeg

IMG_2299.jpeg.8b2bcc75b4853fea5f6941c127c5e0fb.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg.c1dda6ccaab67e2c4fb8982a1609d648.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg.b413a7891cb9de537e19787db4e5958d.jpeg

IMG_2312.jpeg.d50de1a9013d199a1720d1dc68940315.jpeg

IMG_2313.jpeg.6ecb335c29cc64c1e518df363bfc3e52.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg.588816632ce570ad7e0f13c445f7a466.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg.0fbeb41e321b5327e861399e3aa2ce43.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words and you have some lovely photos there Rich. It is always interesting when people point cameras at the layout and there still seem to be new angles and views to be had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

Rich

Tony has given the official answer .. the unofficial version is that Grandborough Junction is so named because its grand - a bit like Brigadoon tho - not everyone sees the third junction, to which this signal is reflecting .... the branch to Leighton Buzzard is currently on Engineers Possession due to an earth fault on the branch so is locked out of use! :)

I must admit, I only noticed it when downloading the images this afternoon - fortunately I wasn't the one that set the route .. was I @Laurie2mil 😂

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Doesn't it just.  It really is inspirational and has given food for thought .. which with me is never a good thing!!!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There are quite a few jobs still outstanding to complete the restoration of Buckingham to tip top condition. The signalling at Grandborough Junction is one of them. There are only a few signals there that work properly, although the ones which switch the power to or from the Buckingham controller for through working are all working electrically.

There never was any interlocking in the frame.

I forgot to ask Tony, but I presume from the feel of the levers that the signalling and pointwork on Buckingham is all rod operated - there's no electrics? 

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Without in any way wishing to denigrate Buckingham, for which I have the greatest respect (and have spent a fortune collecting all of PD's articles) I'd like to fly the flag for Southwell Central built by John Sutton. 

This is a layout that seems to have developed over the years in many ways like Buckingham - articles from MRJ #8 to the last edition of Finescale Railway Modelling Review -and seems to me to be the epitome of the model railway.  OK, the scale/track ratio isn't what the finescale fraternity might like, but I think it is an absolute delight.  It looks like a real railway, and the standard of modelling is the "uniform standard" that Peter Denny championed.  I did actually dabble in 3mm many years ago, but my problem was the lack of ability to build locomotives.  I remember John's articles in "Mixed Traffic" which seemed to make it so simple....not for me unfortunately!!  I hope the layout and its owner are still going strong!!

Martyn

Edited by Martync
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Martync said:

Without in any way wishing to denigrate Buckingham, for which I have the greatest respect (and have spent a fortune collecting all of PD's articles) I'd like to fly the flag for Southwell Central built by John Sutton. 

This is a layout that seems to have developed over the years in many ways like Buckingham - articles from MRJ #8 to the last edition of Finescale Railway Modelling Review -and seems to me to be the epitome of the model railway.  OK, the scale/track ratio isn't what the finescale fraternity might like, but I think it is an absolute delight.  It looks like a real railway, and the standard of modelling is the "uniform standard" that Peter Denny championed.  I did actually dabble in 3mm many years ago, but my problem was the lack of ability to build locomotives.  I remember John's articles in "Mixed Traffic" which seemed to make it so simple....not for me unfortunately!!  I hope the layout and its owner are still going strong!!

Martyn

It is quite possible to praise one layout without it reflecting negatively on another and I would agree with you 100% Southwell Central is a superb and very inspirational layout.

I can't say that I know John well but he has been here to see Buckingham and even spent a short time helping with a little bit of repair and restoration work around 10 years ago. I have seen a few of his locos close up too. As you say, the standard of construction and especially the subtlety of his painting and weathering more than makes up for any lack of finesse in the track and wheels.

His modelling is very much in the Denny tradition of being an "all rounder" and in making things for yourself. I recall John citing Peter Denny as an influence in one of his articles.

I haven't heard what he is up to recently but as far as I know he and his layout are still very much around. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2022 at 19:15, New Haven Neil said:

Buckingham remains possibly my greatest inspiration, and was probably what made me start this thread.  I'd love to have that sort of operational layout that is more than just one station.  Space doesn't allow unfortunately, especially since I joined the dark side of 7mm scale.

Tony did some time previously extend an invitation, but logistics are difficult, living on a rock in the Irish Sea as we do - annoyingly I won't be too far from him this weekend, but our time in the UK is fully spoken for, blast!

I know the feeling. We are once again living on an island in the south   and less inclined to cross the water.

Don 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Donw said:

I know the feeling. We are once again living on an island in the south   and less inclined to cross the water.

Don 

If by “island in the south” you mean the Isle of Wight I’ve often thought that it would make the ideal ‘operational’ layout inspiration. Self contained system, varying timetables (from the light to intense), small to medium sized stations, interesting rolling stock and great scenery. The only downside would be the limited variety of locomotives. Given a Lottery win and a Barn I’d be very tempted 😀

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, D-A-T said:

If by “island in the south” you mean the Isle of Wight I’ve often thought that it would make the ideal ‘operational’ layout inspiration. Self contained system, varying timetables (from the light to intense), small to medium sized stations, interesting rolling stock and great scenery. The only downside would be the limited variety of locomotives. Given a Lottery win and a Barn I’d be very tempted 😀

Could be Canvey Island or the Isle of Sheppey. You have to go into Essex or Kent to get away from them, which may be a disincentive. 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Could be Canvey Island or the Isle of Sheppey. You have to go into Essex or Kent to get away from them, which may be a disincentive. 

3 hours ago, D-A-T said:

The clue is there under "location".

I am going to put my X in the box marked "Isle of Wight"

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

12 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The clue is there under "location".

I am going to put my X in the box marked "Isle of Wight"

Don’t you hate smartarses! 🤣

Never occurred to me to check location.

Edited by D-A-T
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, D-A-T said:

It has been done, and, quite remarkably, almost a century ago using clockwork O gauge. Alastair MacLeod (aka Uncle Mac), when he was Assistant, Isle of Wight, built a "layout" replicating the Island's railways and used it plan an improved timetable capable of carrying more people. It "proved" that the track between Brading and Sandown needed to be doubled and a new passing loop (and resultant station) built at Havenstreet to get the most efficient timetable - and both were done.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

We have our version of course, but it is of standard (Manx) gauge, not like you broad gauge types 😉

Also two (well three if you include the mountain) unconnected systems, but at both the ends weren't far from each other, still are in Douglas.  The downfall here would be the lack of traffic diversity.

In the meantime I continue to dream of Buckingham style operation.

16 hours ago, D-A-T said:

Or maybe it could be built as a modular system much like the Manchester club's Isle of Man system half a century ago.

(I know some members of the Alton club have already built several IoW stations).

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Returning to the topic of Southwell Central, I have the following articles covering this layout:

MRJ's 8, 147, 173, 179

Finescale Railway Modelling Review 3

Railmodel Digest 2

Are there any others??  I know it has been widely covered in the 3mm Soc magazine

Thanks for any information.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2022 at 22:47, Donw said:

What about the horse tram is that still running?

The problem with the Island railways is the very limited loco stock.

Don

The horse trams ran at the end of the season, but only half the length of the prom.  The Government stole the rest of the money for something else.  Political, sorry!  My wife's office is in the back of the horse tram depot - works for fleet services.

I actually don't much like the Beyer-Peacocks, despite being a 'steam guy'. (Ex-driver at Groudle Glen too until stopped due to injury elsewhere).  I find the MER more interesting, it certainly is a more scenic ride.  

P1150936.JPG

• Like 4

I seem to recall that some decades ago (!!) there was a OO layout plan in Railway Modeller that attempted to give a representation of the IoW System as a whole, or at least most’ of it. Tight radii and short platforms, but it did from memory look, on the plan, rather like an Underground-style map of the real thing. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

I seem to recall that some decades ago (!!) there was a OO layout plan in Railway Modeller that attempted to give a representation of the IoW System as a whole, or at least most’ of it. Tight radii and short platforms, but it did from memory look, on the plan, rather like an Underground-style map of the real thing. 

IIRC it was by Stanley C Jenkins and was featured in RM c.1977-78.

• Like 1