Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Older Inspirational Layouts

• RMweb Premium

Might I just advise that Newton Tracey, Chipping Norton etc. were the work of the late Keith Armes, not Ames, who was a highly regarded member of the 2mm association and used to offer a track construction service and more in both 2FS and N in more recent years which several 2mm modellers I know took advantage of.

Bob 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Railway Modeller September 1980, railway of the month. 

He also says in the article it was in MRC in April 1976.

That would explain why I couldnt find it in the 1970s editions of the Modeller!

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2023 at 18:07, AndyB said:

1975. The National Railway Exhibition organised by the MRC found me enthralled by The Newton Tracey Branch constructed by Keith Ames.

A beautiful N gauge GWR BLT.

20231210_175530.jpg.47bbfa922e62c1cd76a643ffa7b5ef7e.jpg

©MRC

I've no idea how long I stood by the halt hoping one of the trains might stop; they never seemed to. 

But there was definitely something about the bucolic scene with a pannier tank trundling through it that caught my imagination.

I'd like to think that it partly inspired my Nantford Spinney layout many decades later.

20231210_175641.jpg.6de1dfb837d7fcea78298e00b0e566fe.jpg

©MRC

It was at the Croydon autumn 1974 exhibition that I stood for hours watching Newton Tracey and first met Keith & Heather. I also met John Geach, secretary of the MRC which I then joined. Keith’s layout was therefore shown at Central Hall the year after and the rest is…

Keith made the turnouts for Chiltern Green (8.9mm gauge) so that the slips could work and much of the point work on Copenhagen  Fields. A great man. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, CF MRC said:

It was at the Croydon autumn 1974 exhibition that I stood for hours watching Newton Tracey and first met Keith & Heather. I also met John Geach, secretary of the MRC which I then joined. Keith’s layout was therefore shown at Central Hall the year after and the rest is…

Keith made the turnouts for Chiltern Green (8.9mm gauge) so that the slips could work and much of the point work on Copenhagen  Fields. A great man. 

Tim

Hi Tim,

It sounds like it's you I should be thanking for getting to see that layout then! 

I recall many fine layouts that year. 

Another one that was particularly good the EM gauge Pen-y-Craig by Tony Jackson. Perhaps as it looked about the same size as I had available. But as a youngster all I had available was Triang Super 4 track!!

20231214_183758.jpg.f979d14038cb2d3000f14b8a98bf1a61.jpg

©MRC

• Like 1