LBSCR E1

51E

Hello Chaps

First post from me so excuse it being a question.

I picked up a South Eastern Finecast kit built E1 a while ago. Its nicely built and numbered as 32689 which I know was one of the ones rebuilt as a E1x built was converter back to a E1 in the 1930's.

I know there were some taken over to the IoW but what i'd like to know is where were the rest on the mainland. My current layout is based in East Sussex in the early 1950's and wondered if this loco would fit in?

If not is there a suitable one to re-number it too?

Cheers

51E

Cheers Paul

32147 would fit in ok being the last of those 3 to be withdrawn. I'd read about 32689 moving to Southampton Docks and seen one picture of it.

As you say the main problem is finding pictures of them. I've not managed to find many pictures of the class in BR days.

Cheers

51E

Maybe i'll have to use a bit of modellers licence to use it... It's not like i'm trying to find and excuse to use a Beattie Well Tank ;)

Slightly off topic but your mention of the Cuckoo line Ian is one of the reasons i'm building my current layout. It's a lovely line and a great shame it was lost.

Maybe one day i'll get round to building a station from the line.

Cheers

51E

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the Cuckoo was a sad loss. Note that 10800, a contributor to this thread, is part of a team building Eridge, set in the days when Redgate Mill Junction was thriving, so he probably agrees, too. I was pleased to find a pic of a C class working a freight at Heathfield - and of course the Bachmann Sheffield Park station buildings are pretty similar to those from Rotherfield to Hellingly. I can recommend the Wild Swan book on the line by A C Elliott, if you haven't seen it.

Hi Ian

Yes i've got a copy of the Cuckoo line book by A C Elliott.. I ended up with 2 copies of it at one point!

Would that be pictures of 31272? There's a few pictures of that loco. Think theres one in the Cuckoo line book and a couple in the Middleton Press book Branchlines to Tunbridge Wells. Think there's also pictures of the same loco at Horam.

Cheers

51E

Yes, the Cuckoo was a sad loss. Note that 10800, a contributor to this thread, is part of a team building Eridge, set in the days when Redgate Mill Junction was thriving, so he probably agrees, too.

Certainly do Ian.  51E, if you're thinking of modelling the Cuckoo line in the 50s I have a spreadsheet which documents all the photos I have in books and magazines of trains that would have passed through Eridge.  If you want a copy let me know by PM.  No E1s though, at least not that sort (just a couple of examples of the Maunsell Convert 4-4-0 on Brighton trains in the very early 50s!).

Archived