Dcc short on reverse loop - blue Pullman

Deltic Man

Good evening

I have a triangle on my layout with a digit trax reverse loop unit on it. All my locos work fine and trip the triangle reverse as expected, however when I put my new Bachman b Pullman on with only one coach attached to the engine it shorts out. I think it is due to the new coupling where it transfers the power through the coach for the lights on the tables. Has anyone else found this problem due to the new style couplings and the length of the reverse loop.

Any suggestions or help are appreciate - oh sorry I run dcc

Nik

• RMweb Premium

Good evening

I have a triangle on my layout with a digit trax reverse loop unit on it. All my locos work fine and trip the triangle reverse as expected, however when I put my new Bachman b Pullman on with only one coach attached to the engine it shorts out. I think it is due to the new coupling where it transfers the power through the coach for the lights on the tables. Has anyone else found this problem due to the new style couplings and the length of the reverse loop.

Any suggestions or help are appreciate - oh sorry I run dcc

Nik

How long is the section the reverse loop unit controls?

I don't have a BP but I assume that power is collected on more than one wheel set.

If the BP is longer than the section it will short out, it has to fit completely in the section being controlled by the reversing unit.

See here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39145-auto-reverse-module-and-turning-triangle/

Keith

Keith is correct, we had the exact same problem with a 4-CEP. The pick ups were the length of the train so it was in and out of the reverse loop at the same time (if that makes sense) so it would cause a short. Basically you need to make your loop at least 3 Blue Pullman coaches long, that or avoid sending it round the reverse loop.

Archived