The Festiniog at Blaenau Ffestiniog in 1973

flyingsignalman

On 28 May 1973 I bought a week's Rover ticket and with a friend our first place to visit was Blaenau Ffestiniog.

When we got there we crossed over to the site of the FR station opposite the BR one and this, more or less, was our first view of the site.

post-6748-0-10224000-1359494386_thumb.jpg

Walking towards the water tower and turning around, another view of the station site with a piece of surviving pointwork in the turf.

post-6748-0-93116200-1359494393_thumb.jpg

The platform edge and remains of Stesion Fain (where it formed the boundary wall) can also be seen.

A closer view of the water tank, a casualty of the re-opening to Blaenau by the FR in 1982.

post-6748-0-30759400-1359494413_thumb.jpg

Looking to Glan-y-Pwll crossing, a signal can just be made out against the back ground.

post-6748-0-83642500-1359494420_thumb.jpg

A closer view showing the single spectacle plate.

post-6748-0-88051300-1359494428_thumb.jpg

Moving along, the Junction of the old line to Dinas would have been in the foreground of this photo which is looking towards Tanygrisiau.

post-6748-0-56037500-1359494440_thumb.jpg

Just south of there was the old line to Groby Quarry, which can be seen dropping away from the line. Indentations from the removed sleepers could still be seen.

post-6748-0-11955200-1359494451_thumb.jpg

We got as far as the removed bridge just north of Tanygrisiau and on our walk back I took this photo of the old disc signal that acted as (I think) Distant for Dinas Jcn. Dave, my mate, holds the sarnies! 

post-6748-0-98833600-1359494459_thumb.jpg

Finaly for interest my Rover Ticket, well worth the £3.

post-6748-0-75827700-1359494478_thumb.jpg

At the time the original line to Dinas and the "Loop Line" both replaced by 1899 Deviation were visible but unfortunately I didn't take any photos; next year they'd all been landscaped out of existence.

Super pictures and happy memories. Mary and I looked around this area in 1963 and got talking to a local who was glad to hear our accents as she had moved to Blaenau from Oldham! BRCW DMU back to Llandudno Junction afterwards.  It was hard to imagine the line ever being reopened to slatetown in those days and oh so nostalgic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remembered these photos taken by Dave the same day (and used with his permission).

post-6748-0-09588200-1360526753.jpg

The DMU from Llandudno Junction.

post-6748-0-63067200-1360526788.jpg

A class 24 waiting with a flask train for the DMU to clear Llanrwst

post-6748-0-73865900-1360526799.jpg

A slightly different view of the water tank and surviving pointwork, platform edge to right.

post-6748-0-35668700-1360526811.jpg

The footbridge and signal.

I was there in '71, but had arrived from the other direction. I and a friend had a week rover on the Cambrian, and caught the bus up to Blaenau. It was very odd visiting a place for the first time, yet knowing your way around it. Some pictures from that trip, including a visit to Llechwedd Quarry are in my gallery.

Finaly for interest my Rover Ticket, well worth the £3.

attachicon.gifRover Ticket 001.jpg

Many`a railway enthusiast bloomed, enjoying the carefree delights and freedoms of a Rove-A-Way....... :yes:

I do hope the imperative in the final two lines on the ticket aren`t still a concern?.........best`not answer the door, for a day or two, Keith! :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Wonderfully nostalgic photos, thanks very much for posting.

There's something indefinably atmospheric and rather special about a place like that, which was still in it's disused and abandoned state, yet which would, in time, be swept away, not by some road scheme or housing estate, but by the very railway that it used to be, albeit 'adapted' to the modern age. The same could be argued to apply to the WHR, of course.

I wouldn't want to actually turn the clock back on either line, but those are wonderful images nevertheless.

Many`a railway enthusiast bloomed, enjoying the carefree delights and freedoms of a Rove-A-Way....... :yes:

I do hope the imperative in the final two lines on the ticket aren`t still a concern?.........best`not answer the door, for a day or two, Keith! :mosking:

It's all right - Keith hasn't expired yet!

• RMweb Premium

Fabulous photos; I well remember Blaenau in this era and if truth be told prefer it in this state with the Ffestiniog Railway dormant to the current state of affairs. Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed a journey fro Blaenau to Port, return to Ddaullt and a yomp back to Blaenau late last year, it's just that I found the old remains more fascinating than the new construction. Still with photos like these we almost have the best of both worlds.

Fabulous photos; I well remember Blaenau in this era and if truth be told prefer it in this state with the Ffestiniog Railway dormant to the current state of affairs. Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed a journey fro Blaenau to Port, return to Ddaullt and a yomp back to Blaenau late last year, it's just that I found the old remains more fascinating than the new construction. Still with photos like these we almost have the best of both worlds.

Totally understand what you mean Neil, but I only partially agree with you. I prefer to see the railway operating with steam locos, than a rusty old, weed-infested example of a bygone era. I agree that preserved railways paint a very shiny and clinical picture with lots of "newness", concrete etc, but when you see steam and hear locos working, people talking - often in happy tones - it brings the place alive.

I lived in Corris for 9 years as a kid and spent many an hour wandering around the damp old slate quarries. I walked some of the trackbed of the old Corris railway, but would much prefer a real running railway even with the modern day compromises. The Welsh Highland railway still has the "newness" about it, but in ten years time it will be well bedded in, and nature will have greened up a lot of those civil engineering earthy spots.

• RMweb Premium

Likewise understand and respect your point of view Phil. I think it's one of those examples where the merits or otherwise can only be a matter of personal preference. It's just struck me that at some stage the neglected, rusty and weedy may become so rare that they attract preservation attempts in their own right.

The sight of the old rails in the grass around Tanygrisiau and Blaenua looked nostalgic because we could try to imagine what it must have been like when trains were running. Then trains did run and still do and that is surely much better. As for the old track, I rode from Tan-y-Bwlch to Portmadoc in the early 1960s over bullhead rails and the journey was a bl**dy nightmare especially for my mother.

Archived