Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

Enough angst about track.

Buy or build 00 or EM and if you want wider sleeper spacing do it.

Now that that's solved, here is my latest pic of the lovely Hornby Duke,  of which Jeff privately informs me he is going to buy 12.  well, he may not have said those exact words but I KNOW WHAT HE MEANS...

We had another nadty earthquake here yesterday, no injuries, very minor damage 150kms away at the epicentre, 6.2 Richter 33kms deep. Plate-movement, much shaking, most unpleasant. A Bulleid tender fell over...  and you guys worry about track...

here is a lovely pic of the fireman's side,  the model actually does have return cranks on the centre drivers, I've painted the steps and hoses but Britannia ones would suit, or the main range DoG detail pack ones, and enhanced shadows etc.   Coachmann I don't think likes enhanced pics; why not show how to do the modelling?, it's confusing etc.  

I have painted shadows around moulded handrails and generally been artistically of dubious integrity, modelling-wise.

No problem I will take it back to my thread

• RMweb Premium

No problem I will take it back to my thread

Kal - meaning?

If you are worried about the discussion re. track being on here - DON'T BE.

This is what the Lounge is about.

You are very welcome to discuss topics like this - which are of general interest - for as long as people reply and show interest!!

Jeff

Hi

Not meaning anything, Jeff....

other than, if anyone wanted to carry on the discussion, I would be waffling about it on in Arboretum Valley.

PS.....   not that I wouldn't continue to discuss it on here in general terms.... I just thought when it is getting into specifics and detail about what I am doing or want, it may not be  appropriate in  a general thread like this.

• RMweb Premium

I was just checking - I'd hate you to feel you weren't welcome!

The Lounge tends to have an ongoing topic for a few days then people get fed-up with it and it re-appears later. In the absence of any layout building I enjoy whatever you guys are serving up!

Now where has Bodge got to today?

Jeff

I was just checking - I'd hate you to feel you weren't welcome!

The Lounge tends to have an ongoing topic for a few days then people get fed-up with it and it re-appears later. In the absence of any layout building I enjoy whatever you guys are serving up!

Now where has Bodge got to today?

Jeff

Afternoon Boss, Been at my Mums all morning trying to help her, Shes been given a Tens Machine by the Hospital, but trying to stick sticky pads on you OWN BACK at almost 90 isn't easy.

I have been interested in the track debate and it has re awoken my taste buds for SMC, It will be interesting to see if I can convert this enthusiasm into reality once I start doing something rather than just sitting here in my nice comfy chair in the Conservatory dreaming of what may be.

Talking of WHAT MAY BE, I am having second thoughts about the Shed, Its cold enough indoors at the moment and I cant imagine wanting to wander off into an even colder shed to do some work. My Old Den was small but nice and warm as it is part of the house with two internal walls and the Central Heating Boiler in the Loo next to it.

Not sure what I will do yet, I muted the idea of the Loft, (and it seems to be a big one) but the good lady was not impressed because,

A, the noise of trains going around, :senile: :senile:

B, the mess of carrying timber up and down, :no:

C, the access through the loft hatch in the small hallway, (no room for a stairway to Heaven), :nono:

D, friends traipsing in and up and down, :O

E, the constant banging, cutting, drilling, sawing, grinding, SWEARING, from above. :O

So all in all I'm not sure where I will be just yet, I'll probably get over this once we get some paperwork and things progress towards a moving date. Well I hope so at least, I don't want to go another 6 Months with no project to do. :no:

Bodge. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

I considered my own "Stairway to Heaven" in my last 2 houses - and rejected them in seconds after realising the way modern house rooves are constructed.

In an older property - like the one Don or Jonathan has, the joisting and supports are a relatively easy conversion job. Me and dad converted his bungalow over 30 years ago (he has a lovely 30 x 16 space up there (with dormer windows). But these new jobs - forget it.

I went into the bunker yesterday - no heating on in there since you and Jason were up in November. Temperature outside: 2C, temperature inside 8C, which would rapidly rise to 18C and stay there, if well insulated. Ok, you may not have quite the insulation in your shed that I have, but I bet you can make it quite "toasty" in there once your heater is on.

Don't despair! 

Jeff

BUT

You could sell it as insulating the loft.... in turn making it quieter and saving a ton on heating bills?

PS... I like the Security the loft or an integrated garage affords you, and the cold walk across the damp lawn is one less excuse for going.

NOT Knocking shed , understand, but by the time you make them habitable and secure.....

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I agree with Kal.

Just tell Dee that when we come down to play..... 1) We'll be quiet and 2) We promise not to swear - well, TOO much ...... rassumfrazzinnickennackendickdastardly.....

Jeff

Cheers Guys,

I feel so much worse now,

money into someones swear box,

waking across damp lawn,

waiting for it to warm up,

security,

no kettle close at hand,

to far to YELL for a cuppa,

wellies when its snowing,

sun cream when its sunny,

and cant sleep at 1 in the morning and the book you want is in the ##### shed.

dam that's more money gone.

Crying Bodge :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• RMweb Gold

You put stepping stones across the lawn

A well inslated shed would not take long to warm up

A cheap baby alarm plugged into a socket in the shed the listening end into one indoors and you will hear any break-in.

An electric kettle in the shed tin of tea bags -sorted

You can be quite comfy in a shed, less distraction no stairs, no earache from making a mess.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Andy, I've been trying to find the photos you put up on here somewhere of your existing garage at the new place, but I can't seem to locate them.

However, what I was going to say was that my recollection was that there is only a short distance between the back door of the house, and the location of the shed.

Couldn't you make a fully enclosed and extended porch affair, so that the shed and house are effectively joined? That way, you have better security, better insulation, and a nice warm dry walk to the layout!

No, they were comparing you to a warm comfortable room,    or something....

note to self     Don't speed read before coffee...

Anyway if you require truth justice and honourable equitable treatment,      um, I think possibly, it might be over there, somewhere... behind that quivering giant of a man

You put stepping stones across the lawn

A well inslated shed would not take long to warm up

A cheap baby alarm plugged into a socket in the shed the listening end into one indoors and you will hear any break-in.

An electric kettle in the shed tin of tea bags -sorted

You can be quite comfy in a shed, less distraction no stairs, no earache from making a mess.

Don

Re filling the kettle, :O  that solves another problem of a shed, going indoors for the loo, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  nonononononononnnoooooooooooooo :no: :no: :no: :no:

SLODGE :stinker:

Andy I think you don't need a shed.

Entirely my personal preference, but the joy of modelling has to be smack I the middle of a place you want to be, at peace with the world and all that.

Except I don't want to look at model all the time....

Paganini Variations .....

Andy, I've been trying to find the photos you put up on here somewhere of your existing garage at the new place, but I can't seem to locate them.

However, what I was going to say was that my recollection was that there is only a short distance between the back door of the house, and the location of the shed.

Couldn't you make a fully enclosed and extended porch affair, so that the shed and house are effectively joined? That way, you have better security, better insulation, and a nice warm dry walk to the layout!

Nice idea Al but I also need the gap to get stuff from the back garden to the drive and front of the property.

B

• RMweb Premium

Jeff......

How could you, you didn't stand up for me, they were comparing me to a witch!!!!!! Is chilvary dead??????  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

On my first visit to AV I did wonder what the significance of that video was!

I will return at some stage and be your knight-in-shining-armour!!  :angel:  :angel:

Was good to see witchypoo, though - takes me back to my younger days. Anyone else on here remember HR Pufnstuf?

Jeff

>>Was good to see witchypoo, though - takes me back to my younger days. Anyone else on here remember HR Pufnstuf?<<

The above statement and question is outside forum rules pertaining to commonly understood life.....

Jeff,

remember that 10 grand you promised to lend me?    please send

• RMweb Premium

Re filling the kettle, :O  that solves another problem of a shed, going indoors for the loo, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  nonononononononnnoooooooooooooo :no: :no: :no: :no:

SLODGE :stinker:

Andy, you are plumbing new depths there! 

Anyway, back to railways. I'm guessing you're getting rid of the garage, so your only exterior alternative is the shed. Or is the loft viable in any way?

Remember that the shed may be colder, but it also involves no climbing of steps or head-height restrictions.

Did you say you reckoned on a 16' x 10' shed?

I've been keeping myself sane by drawing up plans for this that and everything. Come the move I'll probably find everything will change.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

>>Was good to see witchypoo, though - takes me back to my younger days. Anyone else on here remember HR Pufnstuf?<<

The above statement and question is outside forum rules PERTAINING to commonly understood life.....

Jeff,

remember that 10 grand you promised to lend me?    please send

We are starting to formulate a theory over here, Rob. The scarcity of Hornby models alluded to in the Hornby section isn't due to the collapse of the Sanda Kan factory or prioritisation of models according to what other countries pay for them. It's because a certain individual in New Zealand, in entrepeneurial style, has cornered the market and - like the deviation of the Jet Stream here - has diverted said Hornby models down to the southern hemisphere....

Rob - I thought it was you who was sending me the money.

And, btw - do you remember HR Pufnstuf starring Jim Wilde?

Jeff

Archived