Brighton Modelworld 2013

KevinWalsh

Hi all,

Are there any members of here attending or exhibiting at Brighton Modelworld this year.

I'll be there assisting a friend with his layout (Elmgate and Thatcham - stand 77) and if needed also assisting on the club's portable 7&1/4" ride on line (Bentley Miniature Railway)

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kevin; yes I just found out and "eeek" have now recovered. Might bring the boys down, but it'll be Sunday assuming the trains are running. A bit different from last Saturday's £6 and kids free at Watford. Yes I know it's bigger.... 

Maybe see you there!

Jon

I'll be down on Sunday operating Orestone Quay (stand 79 - in a corridor). Do say Hi if you're passing.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any engineering works scheduled (!) for the weekend into Brighton [Will update if I find out to the contrary...]

Chris

Heard that on the Brighton main line, the fast lines are closed between Earlswood to Three Bridges all weekend. Gatwick Expresses are half hourly and there's no departure at 10 past the hour to Victoria (with corresponding xx.32 from Vic). Prob slow things up a bit but I hope not much.

Otherwise all should be running.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Also closed along the Coastway West on Sunday from Barnham to Angmering.  Buses operate Barnham to Angmering via Arundel and also Barnham to Angmering via Littlehampton.

I went to the show today (Friday) using the back door to get straight in rather than stand in the queue out the front.  Some really nice layouts, good selection of modern image layouts in particular.  The catering was the usual overprice appalling rubbish (Three quid for a cheap manky bread roll with a couple of bits of manky bacon shoved in it, not impressed) and the trade had the usual table top second hand dusty over priced tat shifters as per usual but there were a couple of box shifters with some good deals on offer, providing you didn't want a 2-BIL that is...

Some very nice selections of secondhand books mind.  Being one of the first in I got first pickings and picked up a few very nice publications which is where most of my spending went today!!

Well that's it for another year.

Had a good time operating my friend's layout and a decent chinwag with ChrisR of this parish about Orestone Quay, modelling in general and their "interesting" neighbour in the area they were operating from.

Heard that on the Brighton main line, the fast lines are closed between Earlswood to Three Bridges all weekend. Gatwick Expresses are half hourly and there's no departure at 10 past the hour to Victoria (with corresponding xx.32 from Vic). Prob slow things up a bit but I hope not much.

Otherwise all should be running.

Chris

Fast lines were open on Saturday, therefore normal service. £6.60 FCC Super Off Peak Return with Gold Card from London Bridge.

Agree with Mr Upton about the catering, did my best to avoid it.

As he also mentioned it was a good show from the 'modern image' point of view. Spent the best part of two hours watching Coppell. Loved the sound fitted electrics. Not forgetting the full length APT.

Bargains at the Signal Box including LM Class 350's at £89. Very much regret not getting one now but unfortunately space is at a premium.

Spent the best part of two hours watching Coppell.

Blimey, that's longer than some of the operators manage!  I'm glad you enjoyed the layout.  We weren’t sure whether it was worth the effort of sound fitting the electric fleet for exhibition conditions. But you could hear them, even it that noisy hall! Kev.

I went on Saturday with my Son (age 6). It's a very different sort of show, not that remarkable as a model railway show for the entry fee - some nice layouts though. However as family entertainment it's great, and it is interesting to see modelling of all kinds. See my blog post about it, and here's some photos I took - although taking photos with an excited 6-year-old in tow isn't very easy. 

I do wonder why the queue around the front is so long yet there is no queue at the back entrance - but don't tell too many people!  :mosking:

Archived