Whitby fish traffic

Sasquatch

Thanks QP.

I had found PART of this before, but it was obscured by plenty of "buy this print online" tags. So that's really useful and I have pretty well ticked off all my research now thanks to great help from people here (and elsewhere).

I still have little bits such as the east wall of level 1 of the town signal box- did it have a window and the "shed" on platform 4- did it have east facing windows (now on NYMR, but substantially changed) and the cattle dock area.

But I think I have enough to go on with, so tomorrow I am making a start and spending some £££ at our local shop buying the necessaries.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind help. I have a good record now of everything and I think I could write my OWN BOOK on my research.

Derek

• Like 1

I'm not sure about east facing windows, I think there may have been some doors tho.  The NYMR has the original plans of most of the buildings it owns, I think Thursday is archive day, if it is I'll see about having a nose for you.

Thanks Jwealleans. I found that and got some good references from it.

Boris,

You can see on google street view looking across the car park that there are a couple of doors on the back- I wasn't sure if they were original or not. However, the running line between P4 and the town 'box was 3ft at least above the yard (one photo shows steps down, but only ONE set that I could see.

What I have recently found online is the survey (including historic notes and drawings) from early 2000's by a local architects firm on behalf of SBC and the NR heritage department. I'm pretty much there now, thanks to the collective help from many wise and helpful people.

At the risk of pushing my luck- I know you said you looked at the 'cattle' dock before demolition. From memory and photos it was about 30ft long with s single road and perhaps a 15ft gap to the main running line. It is hard to tell the angle but I think it was dead straight with the running line heading away from Whitby- ie, NOT parallel with the running lines past the engine shed area. Does that sound about right? I you have any photos....

Many thanks again to everyone. I've now ordered the bits I need to make a start. I'm going to have a start at the derelict shed Sth of Bog Hall crossing as it looks the easiest- though at some point it has been rebuilt as it is a mix of English Garden Wall bond and Running Bond (I have plenty of running bond spare so I will practice a bit on that first.)

Derek

• 5 years later...
On 03/11/2014 at 14:45, Boris said:

I'm not sure about east facing windows, I think there may have been some doors tho.  The NYMR has the original plans of most of the buildings it owns, I think Thursday is archive day, if it is I'll see about having a nose for you.

Well it's taken nearly 6 years, but I found definitive proof.

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/whitby-goods-shed-r3l-from-car-park.html

Look to the right.

• Like 1