Coventry Station pre 1959

riddler

I am having trouble finding out a couple of questions regarding Coventry station pre 1959. After this time the station was rebuilt to accomodate 4 mainlines.

I am trying to find out:

1/ How long were the platforms, I know the down line was considerable shorter than the up line due to the Leamington branchline

2/ LNWR engine shed at the end of the down line platform, was it still used up to 1959?

3/ Where would I find a timetable for train running times before 1959?

regards

Graham

1. Large scale track plans are held in the BR/OPC Collection at the NRM under references 20517 and 21726

2. Closed 17.11.1958 according to the Hawkins & Reeve book

3. Once you have found out which section covers Coventry, RAIL912 at the National Archives may help

Andy

1. Large scale track plans are held in the BR/OPC Collection at the NRM under references 20517 and 21726

2. Closed 17.11.1958 according to the Hawkins & Reeve book

3. Once you have found out which section covers Coventry, RAIL912 at the National Archives may help

Andy

Useful info Andy. Although the shed may have ceased operations then, I think it remained for stored locos a little longer, and was demolished for the site of the new PSB as part of the Coventry remodeliing. Have no dates though.

• RMweb Gold

Just been upstairs to the book room. It's Vol 1 of Historical Surveys.....ISBN 086093 168 4.

The quirky little shed off the platform end was Midland not LNW. LNW had a much grander and more conventional shed .

Platform lengths are not stated but scaling off the plans:

Up platform 720'

Down platform 560'

Joseph

that is most helpful thank you. I think I may need to use a bit of modellers licence here as the up platform would be 4'8" in N scale and the down platform would be 3'8".

Getting the platform lengths helps to work out the scale of everything.

Not sure this is the best place to ask this question but I fail to see the point of the carriage sidings, I mean the branch didn't end at Coventry, can anyone shed some light on to it please

regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

With the advent of paid holidays didn't alot of trains run from here to the West Country and other places on Saturdays so perhaps the coaches were stored there in the week.I don't know for sure as I wasn't around then !

• RMweb Gold

I can't find the 1955 Bradshaw just now. Looking at 1938, not much of the service started or terminated at Coventry and with an awkward layout and restricted signalling that's no surprise. So bad indeed that some trains from Nuneaton were stopped short at Coundon Road.

I know Coventry is built in a cutting, or cut into a hillside to be slightly more correct.

The current "central six" retail park occupies where I presume a goods yard once was, complete with access from Grosovenor Road.

Not sure how much of the ring road had been built by that point. I know it has changed since built, many roads that did access it have been cut off in the name of safety

Archived