Adventures in DCC and EM with a BRM 4MT

MichaelW

I was at the club on Tuesday night, and took advantage of the permanent layout there to give 76114 a bit of a run.  After figuring out how the control panel worked (apparently significantly better when plugged in...), I ran it for a while to give it a chance to run in, finally adding some wagons behind it to see how it performed.  It ran really smoothly, and behaved faultlessly all evening.  I even managed to take some photos of it as it crawled its way round.  Just for the Lunesters, here's one of it on the viaduct:

post-6640-0-63502100-1360884477.jpg

I also managed to acquire some surplus 00 track from a friendly bin, so at some point I may manage to get it running at home.  

I was looking online last night at the various depots (sheds?) that 76114 was allocated to, but without much luck (on the other hand, if you want pictures of modern units, it would appear you have a lot of choice...).  Where should I be looking to find out more about them?  I suppose I'm looking for info about the depots themselves, what locos where there, and what those locos would be used for.

Dear Michael

Your friendly librarian will dig out the DCC books we have, and don't overlook there is a reasonable amount of DCC experience at the club - one member buys sound chips more frequently than chip butties.

I think we made a reasonable fist of operating the DCC layout at York 2 years ago, as none of us had used it before. But it does take a lot of concentration to get it right, as you say, a dead section is quite a useful safeguard in DC.

Paul

Hi Michael

Glad to see that the steam bug has firmly settled in. In addition to Jason's recommendation you may also find this site of use: www.brdatabase.info

Just type the name of the depot into the search engine and it will present you with a list of all loco's allocated to that depot. This can be further broken down to a year by year allocation list.

Very useful and may help you decide when making other purchases!

Have fun

Bill

Very useful and may help you decide when making other purchases!

Nooooo!!!  I don't need encouragement to buy more things!  On the other hand, the 2-6-4 tanks do have a certain charm...

That is another interesting and useful site Bill - thank you!

I was looking through the "Shed by shed" series of books last night (which our friendly librarian had used on Tuesday to find some bits about 76114 on Tuesday evening), and thought that an electronic copy would be very useful - and you've provided one!

A snapshot of Corkerhill in summer of 1963 suggests I could get a Fairburn 2-6-4T, standard 4 2-6-4Ts, standard 5s, or black 5s...  Hmmm...

Your friendly librarian will dig out the DCC books we have, and don't overlook there is a reasonable amount of DCC experience at the club - one member buys sound chips more frequently than chip butties.

I think we made a reasonable fist of operating the DCC layout at York 2 years ago, as none of us had used it before. But it does take a lot of concentration to get it right, as you say, a dead section is quite a useful safeguard in DC.

I'd already grilled them about DCC on Tuesday...  I didn't let them out the back room till they'd answered my questions.

Operating any layout well takes a good deal of concentration - especially when it's new and you are still learning both how the layout should be operated (in terms of realistic manouvers), and how to use the controls to implement that operation.  The controls should help you in this, not cause you problems (this is a recurrent theme in aircraft safety*).  When watching a layout that is being operated well, I have to admit that I don't really care if it is DC or DCC controlled.  What I meant in my earlier post (even if I didn't quite manage to say that) is that when watching a layout that was poorly operated, I would notice if it was DCC controlled, and generally if it was a DCC layout, then the controls appeared to be causing the operators problems.  No doubt I noticed if it was DCC (and probably not DC) because of my initial prejudices against it...

Now that I have an opportunity to try DCC, I am looking forward to debunking those prejudices...

(*) Reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal) tale of a test-pilot who'd spent the morning in a Hawk, doing a lot of touch and goes, who then got in a Tornado after lunch.  During the take off, he reached down for the landing gear switch, and flicked it to up.  Unfortunately, he reached for where it is in a Hawk.  That switch in a Tornado has a slightly different purpose.  It jettisons the stores.  Apparently he got a perfect hit on the runway with his drop tanks.  That is, his full drop tanks...

I'd already grilled them about DCC on Tuesday...  I didn't let them out the back room till they'd answered my questions.

Operating any layout well takes a good deal of concentration - especially when it's new and you are still learning both how the layout should be operated (in terms of realistic manouvers), and how to use the controls to implement that operation.  The controls should help you in this, not cause you problems (this is a recurrent theme in aircraft safety*).  When watching a layout that is being operated well, I have to admit that I don't really care if it is DC or DCC controlled.  What I meant in my earlier post (even if I didn't quite manage to say that) is that when watching a layout that was poorly operated, I would notice if it was DCC controlled, and generally if it was a DCC layout, then the controls appeared to be causing the operators problems.  No doubt I noticed if it was DCC (and probably not DC) because of my initial prejudices against it...

Now that I have an opportunity to try DCC, I am looking forward to debunking those prejudices...

It is unfortunate that these discussions about the down side of operating DCC tend to be hidden in topics which don't appear to be about DCC! As another example there is some interesting discussion here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57246-black-country-blues-rolling-stock-workbench/page-11?

Apart from to have noise or not - and I must say the first time a class 47 started up in the room below the library it was incredible - there is also the factor of how to operate from fiddle yards. This was a problem we had at the York show. There was a tendency for a complete start up to be required in the fiddle yard and then a slow acceleration whereas what should have been happening was a train decreasing in speed as it entered the terminal. Something far easier to do in DC control. And then we learnt to switch off the inertia as a good operator doesn't need that - and as it varied between each loco it was also very difficult to judge properly. I don't think we were unusual in needing to have quite a lot of operators over a 3-day period, each varying in how they approached the job. For example I annoy people because I don't think operators should speak to the public, even their mates, especially on a layout that needs a lot of concentration in the type of shunt-loading that is required.

Some photos of the layout at the York show are here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/eborstanmoreedge

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Nooooo!!!  I don't need encouragement to buy more things!  On the other hand, the 2-6-4 tanks do have a certain charm...

I was looking through the "Shed by shed" series of books last night (which our friendly librarian had used on Tuesday to find some bits about 76114 on Tuesday evening), and thought that an electronic copy would be very useful - and you've provided one!

A snapshot of Corkerhill in summer of 1963 suggests I could get a Fairburn 2-6-4T, standard 4 2-6-4Ts, standard 5s, or black 5s...  Hmmm...

Michael,

Not sure if I should put this on your 009 thread but there i of course the fact that you are using ex WD equiopment on that layout and you might think of a Bagnall, or other small steam loco.  I know it is possible to do DCC in 009 although I am not sure how far your modules have got.

Michael,

Not sure if I should put this on your 009 thread but there i of course the fact that you are using ex WD equiopment on that layout and you might think of a Bagnall, or other small steam loco.  I know it is possible to do DCC in 009 although I am not sure how far your modules have got.

True - I'd stuck to diesel locos on that for the simplicity of kitbuilding (or a Glynn Valley Tram for the same reason).  Though a lot of the DCC inertia that applies to my N-Gauge stock applies to the 009 too - lack of space for a decoder, and old style mechanisms that are hard to convert.

It is unfortunate that these discussions about the down side of operating DCC tend to be hidden in topics which don't appear to be about DCC! As another example there is some interesting discussion here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57246-black-country-blues-rolling-stock-workbench/page-11?

It is, but in an area that advocates the advantages of DCC, I'm not surprised that the down sides aren't covered in that much detail.

Sound is another interesting topic - I see two problems with it 1) generally it is TOO LOUD! (subtly done it is good, but when you want to move on to protect your ears, it's not good); and 2) it works well with diesel locos, but for steam, it never seems to match the motion, making it seem odd...

Happy to be of service sir. The 2-6-4T's were one of my favourite loco's for the simple reason that I saw so many of them. They headed the bulk of our local services. The Standard 4 and Fairburn from Bachmann are excellent models although the Fairburn comes without front footsteps (available from Comet and easily fitted). Better still is the Stanier 2-6-4T from Hornby if they were on shed at Corkerhill. Take care if you go for the Black 5 and intend to renumber for the simple reason that they were such a large class the variations were staggering and it's easy to get it wrong! I know Hornby have produced Black 5's from Scottish sheds but which ones I do not know. I'm certain someone will sort you out though!

Regards

Bill

Well, having spent most of today doing those little jobs that you just never quite get round to, I finally got a chance to play with the track I acquired on Tuesday.  It was a bit of a mess - on close inspection one piece was actually about 5 smaller bits, but at least that meant I had some fishplates to join the rest of the bigger pieces together, and there were lots of droppers still attached.  After a bit of a struggle to get the fishplates on to the rails, and then wire up the droppers to give power all the way along the track, I managed to get some movement...

post-6640-0-82136800-1361037089.jpg

post-6640-0-11384100-1361037091.jpg

post-6640-0-10204500-1361037093.jpg

post-6640-0-16496800-1361037094.jpg

(and yes, for those of you with eagle eyes, that is indeed England winning the ashes in the background ;) )

Now, fun as it is running 76114 up and down the track, I think I need something a little bit more interesting.  Maybe a few wagons and a couple of points...

(continuing a conversation that started in the Kirkby Luneside thread)

Mike, when I said Corkerhill sounded interesting, I had been reading about it's history and that it was an ex-Glasgow and South Western Railway depot.  Do you know what sort of work the 4MTs at Corkerhill did?  Was it a mixture of freight and passenger working, or did they just concentrate on surburban passenger trains?

• RMweb Premium

I've been perusing the Far North Line thread and some of the photos on there are making it harder and harder to resist getting another kettle...  Ho hum...

Sorry if I've been converting you to Scottish steam ;-}

BTW if you plough through the Newhaven Harbour thread you will find that mobile phones can interfer with DCC to.... ;-O

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Michael..... to use the oft-quoted Borg statement "Resistance is futile..."

As a Lunester you've got no chance now of avoiding acquiring more kettles. With all the steam locos (and diesels) that some of us are running - look no further than AndyP - you are well caught in the web. Nice to see the active support and encouragement from your club.

First time I've looked at this thread - I'll monitor it for signs of the second kettle!

Jeff

Morning Jeff,

I'm beginning to realise that...  What with all the Lunesters' encouragement, I can see me getting another one fairly soon...  Only problem is making sure I get ones that will fit with the one I've already got...

Shortly after I got home late last night, my neighbour appeared with a package that had been delivered to them.  Except it was meant for me.  Turned out to be the two books I'd ordered last week "Great Railway Photographs by Eric Treacy", and "The Golden Years of British Steam Trains".

Only problem is, I've got to put them down and go to work...  Lots of interesting pictures in there...

Morning Jeff,

I'm beginning to realise that...  What with all the Lunesters' encouragement, I can see me getting another one fairly soon...  Only problem is making sure I get ones that will fit with the one I've already got...

Hi Michael

Given the number of pre-grouping designs (some positively ancient!) that survived and worked alongside the BR Designs intended to replace them, you've got a lot of choice! Given that you've settled on Scotland you have a choice of ex-LMS or ex-LNER designs and it comes to  me that seeking out where the two regions mingled would give you a wide selection and the best of both regions! Some of the new LNER loco's from Bachmann are superb as is Hornbys B1. It strikes me that the best person to advise you at the moment would be Andy G (uax6). Just take your time, read all you can and choose carefully. There's no need to rush.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Ohhh, I'm not sure I should be used as a expert here! I happen to know a fair bit about HR stuff and thats about it, but having said that I would say that you can't go wrong with a Black Five (or two)......

If you want anything cute you will probably need to kit build or scratchbuild......

Andy G

Archived