Bramblewick

AndrewCussler

Glad that all of you who have posted were impressed by Bramblewick. A thoroughly good show and we are pleased to say received the Mike Cook Trophy.

We had a number of what seemed to be serious enquries over the the three days of York show, a few of which were from various museums. (Not, I'm pleased to say from the one in York).

Things won't happen quickly but it looks as though Bramblewick will be going to a good home.

Andrew

• Like 12

Great news Andrew.Bramblewick deserves to be preserved and on show as an example of outstanding modelling alone.However if one of the museums bidding for the layout has connections with the North East of England or the NER they could not do better than exhibit what is a fantastic portrayal of the NER in it's prime.I for one,and I probably speak for many enthusiasts here,will be overjoyed that this layout will still be available for public view.

Edited by iainp
  • Like 2

If it goes to a museum then it would be worthwhile if a group of local modellers got together to form the  "Friends of Bramblewick"  and undertake to maintain it. With the best will in the world that is something of which museums have little experience.

The NRM lost interest in Heckmondwike and did nothing to look after it. It was ultimately scrapped.

Most of Jack Nelson's LNWR diorama's are in the Conwy Valley Railway Museum and despite being cased, are in need of a general overhaul. The LNWR Society hopes to undertake  this. The other one was in the Crewe Heritage Centre and has been removed for light restoration bythe LNWRS.

Unfortunately models slowly deteriorate over time, colours fade, etc. Bramblewick is a wonderful example of a well observed and beautifully created 3D image of a Victorian railway. It deserves to be preserved, sympathetically presented and carefully maintained.

Jol

• Like 14

Glad that all of you who have posted were impressed by Bramblewick. A thoroughly good show and we are pleased to say received the Mike Cook Trophy.

We had a number of what seemed to be serious enquries over the the three days of York show, a few of which were from various museums. (Not, I'm pleased to say from the one in York).

Things won't happen quickly but it looks as though Bramblewick will be going to a good home.

Andrew

Great news Andrew.Bramblewick deserves to be preserved and on show as an example of outstanding modelling alone.However if one of the museums bidding for the layout has connections with the North East of England or the NER they could not do better than exhibit what is a fantastic portrayal of the NER in it's prime.I for one,and I probably speak for many enthusiasts here,will be overjoyed that this layout will still be available for public view.

A case of ensuring it is the best home for the layout, not necessarily taking the highest offer...

• Like 1

I saw Bramblewick for the first time today and it certainly lived up to expectations. This really is as good as it gets - unlike my photos, but they're all I have to share. Thanks to the operating team for allowing me behind the layout and Scottiedog for arranging it.

Thanks for posting these great photographs and comments. I was one of the operating Team at York and we did notice the layout was getting a lot of attention. I knew Tom Harland well and I'm sure he would have been glad that his work is greatly admired.

What you may not know is that this was the first time that Tom's Sons had had a chance to actually operate the layout. They were all knocked out by it's popularity and winning the Mike Cook Memorial Trophy. On behalf of the rest of the guy's, Tommy, Jack, Sam, Mike, Ken, Richard, Steve, Duncan and James please accept our thanks.

Paul.

• Like 11

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ideally the place for Bramblewick would be something like AIMREC, befitting it's stature as one of the finest model railway creations. Such a shame if it has not found a good home.

I have a number of Tom's paintings in my home, a nice reminder of a great guy who it was a privilege to know.