Modifying stock to take Dapol Easy Shunt magnetic couplings

Hi

Nice one Ian that looks like a "Proper Job ".....How many points out 10 would you give it for difficulty ,about 6 ?

I will give......#10 = 8........#14 = 9.........and....#20 = 6

I am stating the obvious but the beauty of fitting these coupling boxes is that the couplings can be changed

back to the Rapido type at any time and not cause altered stock to loose its resale value.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

I would say that the Farish bogie modification is very way. Just need to be careful with alignment before adding the superglue sparingly so as to not get it inside the Dapol box. Can get as much of it on the outside as you like.

I have swapped NEM couplers a few times and in pulling out the couplers there has been good of the bonding of the box which hasn't come away from the bogie.

Ian

Edited as meant o say the box hasn't come away from the box

Following on from Roundhouses VGA conversion, Heres my take on it. Same wagon just a little bit different

photo-2.jpg

After removing the Rapido mounting box cut off the two tabs either side to give a flush bottom to mount on.

I didnt cut any of the headstock.

Butt the new box up against the back of the headstock.

This now takes the shorter of the Dapol dummy knuckles (which I have bucket loads needin used up)

And this goes over Peco Medium radius back to back points (457mm 18")

• RMweb Gold

Its good to see alternatrive methods of fixing these conversion packs. These are really proving quite versatile.

It Would be interesting if any one has found items that cant be converted so far as that would be a challenge for any one else who might have similar items of stock.

I am considering converting the Farish Voyager to either these or Tomix couplers as I am finding the Farish coupling bar hard to see these days.

Ian

I have swapped NEM couplers a few times and in pulling out the couplers there has been bonding of the box coming away from the bogie.

Ian

Hi Ian

I try and work things out so that two surfaces can be glued to give just that little bit extra strength if pos and put a bit

extra adhesive on the sides as well if possible but not so much that in can get inside the box.

Did I notice the word can't ?...no such word,..... it's all mind over matter in N Gauge.

I prefer to use two part adhesive,, more time to line things up,but needs patience until cured..... Each to his/her own.

Hi Westie

.............That looks a nice neat job on the VGA and it's been tried and tested,...that bit behind the headstock allows for just

..............that little bit more surface for adhesion.....well done ! .......Keep em coming.

..........#32..That's another real Proper Job,and look how level they are !

Cheers

John

So far I've done a peco mgr and a farish pca tank but I'm struggling with a Dapol dogfish of all things

still loads to file away youd think the Dapol wagon would be easiest

Thats good to know as I have the Farish PCA on the list next to go along with the new Metalair PCA.

A few shots of the VGA finished, with another Farish NEM pocket equipped wagon

Long dummy knuckle on the SPA, short on the VGA

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

I have 2 x 20 bags of these sockets, just need to russle up some more of the dummy knuckles now.

Mark

Hi Ian

I try and work things out so that two surfaces can be glued to give just that little bit extra strength if pos and put a bit

extra adhesive on the sides as well if possible but not so much that in can get inside the box.

Did I notice the word can't ?...no such word,..... it's all mind over matter in N Gauge.

Hi Westie

.............That looks a nice neat job on the VGA and it's been tried and tested,...that bit behind the headstock allows for just

..............that little bit more surface for adhesion.....well done ! .......Keep em coming.

Cheers

John

John

I had some problems with early attempts with adhesion, scouring with anything sharp allowed the glue to key in.

Im sure when it comes to anything with the early AB chassis from Farish (OAA, VAA, VBA, FPA) it will extra roughing up. That is a very smooth, brittle chassis.

Rgds

Mark

]Thats good to know as I have the Farish PCA on the list next to go along with the new Metalair PCA.A

To fill the gap in the chassis I used some jml bond it putty the same stuff also helps on the mgr it's a bit like black blue tac but it hardens and glue likes it so helps with adehsion

Well I have just had a bash at modifying a Dapol B-set. The bogie does not have a particularly suitable flat surface so I just sliced off the old box and glued the NEM pocket to the end of the plastic. I used CA superglue and the fitting was easy although I do not think the bond is particularly strong. I am tempted to try and reinforce it with some epoxy.

I might try body mounting instead.

Still, the conversion kit was a doddle to use and the coupling went up snuggly against my Dapol pannier which I am using for reference.

post-887-0-04167900-1362691829_thumb.jpg

post-887-0-63875400-1362691847_thumb.jpg

post-887-0-26649600-1362691869_thumb.jpg

I do not think the bond is particularly strong. I am tempted to try and reinforce it with some epoxy.

The coupling looks the part (bottom pic)  Might I suggest for added strength that you carefully glue one of those plastic shims

that come with the kit to the underside,..partly on the chassis   (over that hole)   and up to the pin hole into which the inner box

fits although it might not matter if the hole was covered but take out the inner box first so that it does not get glued in solid.

Question ! since I don't own a B set, are the 2 coaches permanently fixed together or do they have normal couplings in the middle ?

Cheers 

John

Question ! since I don't own a B set, are the 2 coaches permanently fixed together or do they have normal couplings in the middle ?

They have normal couplings between the two coaches. Normally pairs of B-set coaches would stay "married for life" (a few exceptions as always). But normally you would not see them separated so I might replace the Rapidos with something to allow slightly closer coupling. Since it does not need to be functional, something simple like the NBrass hooks would probably do the job nice and cheaply.

B-sets sometimes ran with Panniers which makes my life easy but they were also common with small Prairies. I will need to have a look if there is an easy way to fit NEMs to them. :scratchhead:

Looks like a good job Karhedron.  Are those standard length magnetic couplings in the final photo?  Presume the short couplings would reduce the gap and compensate for the fact that the coach coupling sticks out more?  Pity I've run out of pockets or I'd convert my B Set this weekend.

Yes, those are the standard couplings. My tightest curves are 18" so I think I could comfortable use short couplings throughout on my layout. I have only a few pairs so far (most ones that came with recent purchases). I wanted to make sure that I could fit them and get them working but now I feel confident to invest in some of the bulk pacls of short couplers.

Conversion of G.F. Bachmann Class 50 part No 371-253

...Is your loco out of guarantee ? it will be if you do this... It is a straight forward job fitting the box but holding the sideframes up afterwards is another matter.

Method..!   Remove bogey from loco,.sideframes from bogey and carefully slice away waste material to take new box at A... taking care to leave the tab at the

back. ​leave the floor intact as the new box will sit on top of it,.....mark and drill a hole in the floor where the vertical inner box pin comes so the excess glue may

be removed after box has been fixed....Cut the piece as marked at B just clear of the front wheels of the gear tower. remove the wheels and with the tab at the

rear located in the slot file the front so that it is a tight fit behind the new box.....A plastic block now needs to be cut and glued to the gear tower at  C, take care

not to let glue get in bearing !...I then cut a piece of brass sheet as at D which fits tightly over the back of the coupling box,..note tabs for extra adhesion and drill 

a hole to take a 1.4 X 3mm self  tapper,...the legs may be bent 45* if you want to take the trouble if not they need to be bent forward a tad so as to miss the front

loco wheels........Warning...I found the gear tower plastic at B to be quite brittle....and there you have it another Proper Job !........Questions   ?.... send PM

PS...the shoulder on the brass piece D must not be more than about 1.5mm above the top corners of the new box or it will foul on the body on the corners

post-13207-0-00639100-1363079904_thumb.jpg

post-13207-0-20227100-1363079937_thumb.jpg

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

John

Another interesting conversion which shows just how versatile these conversion kits are.

I have now done a few more VGA's and farish class 66's so in the near future most of my stock will be fitted with these. Hopefully will get a magnet or two fitted to the layout in time for Ally Pally show.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a brief update on the TEA conversion. I have put a short Dapol coupling into the conversion box and that wagon was used at the front of the train over the weekend happliy going round 11.5 inch radius curves behind a loco.

I may not convert all the TEA tankers to the Dapol magnetic coupling but they will probably have the conversion box with the short fixed knuckle plugged in so as to close up the gap between wagons.

All the Farish class 66's and 56's that have had the Dapol coupler fitted also perfoemd well, so the rest of the fleet will now be converted.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Just done a few more VGA's, weathered ones so the boxes stick out like a sore thumb.

One thing I have started doing is shaving 0.5mm off the face of the new coupling box which touches the back of the headstock.

This moves the box further out and allows me to fit a short Dapol dummy knuckle (Which I have dozens spare) and this will go round the 3rd radius test track (298mm)

Just need to scrounge some spare Long Dapol dummy Knuckles for the TTAs, have already cleared out Dapols spares online

So if anybody has any they can spare  :biggrin_mini2:  :biggrin_mini2: :biggrin_mini2:

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some work using these kits on my 3mm stock and works a treat. currently using rapidos due to cost but plan on magnetics at some point. Looking at the NEM specs, it turns out that while TT gas its own specs.. they are identical to N NEM. As such my converted stock will couple to continental TT and anyone can now easily mix RTR and kit continental Ty without problems.

I have done some work using these kits on my 3mm stock and works a treat. currently using rapidos due to cost but plan on magnetics at some point. Looking at the NEM specs, it turns out that while TT gas its own specs.. they are identical to N NEM. As such my converted stock will couple to continental TT and anyone can now easily mix RTR and kit continental Ty without problems.

Hi Katier

.............Glad to hear that the conversion kits have worked out well with your 3mm. Yes they are a bit expensive and to cut down on costs I

have only converted one end of each loco and the first coach or wagon in the train of course this is no good if you want to shunt and split

the whole train although on HF we use a set of couplings in the middle of the steel trains to split them in half. As has been mentioned before

once the NEM pockets are fitted the various  couplings can be changed at will.    Thanks for posting the above information.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

I have fitted a pair of Dapol easy Shunt couplings into a Tillig TT loco NEM pockets.

As yet I haven't had chance to fit any more TT stock with htme to test them. If all goes well I will consider removing the already fitted Microtrians couplers (which are fine except when trying to uncouple) and installing the Dapol conversion boxes.

I am planning on fitting the Dapol conversion boxes to all my Farish TEA wagons but using the fixed knuckle in them. This should close up the gap between each wagon.

I know these are aimed at N gauge and the smaller scales. But the size of the buck-eye would be a perfect size to fit into OO mark 1s and have a prototype coupling. I may not be a N gauge modeler but this is a fascinating topic to surf through.

Hi Mr Bulleid

...............Glad to hear that you find our contribution to the RMweb fascinating,..........  I have not heard of it being done but I can see no

reason as to why the couplings would not work although if they were fixed too high from the track there might be an uncoupling problem

because they might be too far away from the magnet.    Do you intend to try them with OO ?.....  if so please let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John

Next on my list is Peco 15ft chassis, Farish OAA, and maybe attempt a C-Rail PFA Coal.

Waiting for the conversion kit with height gauge for these as I dont think they will be as easy to line up as the VGA

Will be sure to post updates

Rgds
Mark

Update

Got the Dapol conversion kit, yeah a bit belatedly considering I have done these VGAs, But thought it would come handy for the Peco/OAA and others.

I achieved the match up you see between the VGA and SPA in post #32 by messing about myself with no guides.

So I thought I would make up my converted VGA to the Dapol height gauge and see how close I am .... Actually Between 0.5 & 0.75mm out!

That was a bit of a surprise given it was a perfect match to the SPA

So now I have all my knuckle couplings ready to do the whole fleet I started mixing and matching various wagons and have discovered that Farish NEM socket is consistently Lower than the Dapol NEM socket.... 

So if you are going to convert any wagons using this height gauge it will be fine to mate with Dapol NEM fitted stock but will be Higher than the Farish NEM stock.

Still think they will remain coupled just depends on how good the track is and length of formations

Rgds

Mark

Archived