GN BR suburban coaches 1976

roythebus

Does anyone know roughly how many BR suburban coaches were allocated to the Kings Cross suburban services in the mid 1970's to the end of loco hauled services? How many sets were they made up to, and how many DMUs were required for the services?

Just wondering as I used to work them in that era, and wondered why they replaced them with 67 class 313 sets which seemed to be too many for the job considering many went "elsewhere" like the NLL and Watford services. Was that BR over-ordering deliberately because the finance or political will was there at the time?

The GN electric services were a totally different working pattern to the previous loco hauled and DMU services. The Broad St and Moorgate via the widened lines disappeared with electric operation and the former LT service from Finsbury Park was taken on so the comparisons aren't like for like. Added to which the electric service was operated on a higher frequency, albeit with shorter peak hour trains.

I don't know the numbers involved but the Great Northern Suburban book probably has the answers.

According to the RCTS 1976 Coaching Stock Book, the number of suburban coaches left, which by this time were only found on the GN, was:

Composite 6

Brake Second 13

Non-gangwayed Second 51

Open Second 6

Plus Finsbury Park's allocation of Class 105 (2-car) and 116 and 125 (3-car) DMUs.

The replacement EMU fleet was 64 3-car Class 313s and 26 4-car 312s.

So that makes 12 and a half 6 car sets. It seemed there were more than that at the time! Sets were stabled on the east (up) side at Finsbury Park, on the down side at Holloway, some in Hornsey depot, with sets being outstationed at Hertford north, Cambridge, Welwyn, Hitchin,Rroyston and Peterborough at night!  

I'm aware of the DMU services and the change in frequencies when the electrics came in. in fact I've just found some timetable leaflets for the new service in my collection! Thanks for the help so far.

Archived