Help wanted - prototype images of North Wales slate ports

scanman

Dear All

I am currently writing up a project outline for the depiction (in 'G' Gauge') of a 'Welsh Slate Railway' which (hopefully) will depict the transport of slate from the quarry to the sea.  I've found plenty of images of the quarry end - but there's (apparently) nor much on the web regarding the 'port' side of the business.  Any help or photographs will be acknowledged in the report. 

The project will not just be about the industry but will hopefully encourage young people to explore the social history, environmental impact etc, of the industry as well as becoming involved in the physical construction of the model

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Ian Barefoot

Evenin' Ian,

Porthgain & Abereiddi 'A Century of Industry' by Peter Davies ISBN 0 9536982 3 8 is more West Wales but there are some good pictures of the port with its narrow gauge railway and a very readable text.

Cheers

Dave   

Geoff -

Many thanks for the details - I'll look it up.

The model is being built at a heritage railway centre as an educational training aid.  I think there is sufficient space to portray the idea!  I'm just putting together my  thoughts on the subject (based on an existing trackplan).  Doubtless there will be others & the final result will be an amalgam of those ideas..!

Regards

Ian

Archived