Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Looking for a suitable Mk2 BSO

Hello all, 

I'm returning to the hobby after many, many years. I'm currently in the process of designing my layout in XTrackCAD and collecting rolling stock. This was all inspired by me seeing the Hornby Brighton Belle 1934 set and falling in love with it. I've never been interested in the southern region however, and my railway is going to be a total mish-mash of things from the early 1990s, with the assumption that the Brighton Belle was preserved and continued to run. (When I say mish-mash I really mean it - I'm trying to complete a Hornby Intercity 225 set and have a complete Lima HST rake to go on!) 

Anyhow, one of the trains I'm going to run is a loco-hauled Intercity Pullman. The rake will be far from prototypical. I have 4 Lima Intercity Pullman Mk3s, a TRSB and 3 TSOs. It will be pulled by Bachmann's 47 "Titan". The problem I'm having is that I don't know what to run at the back of the train. I've been looking for a Mk2 Brake in Executive/Swallow liveries, and I can only find the current-issue Hornby one which has a garish colour scheme that doesn't match either it's old version of the livery nor the livery from any past or present manufacturers.

Does anyone know of any kicking about? I've tried eBay for a Lima or Dapol version but I can't find any in Exec livery. Any ideas for anything else I could run?

Thanks in advance,

S. 

Thanks, for that. I've never heard of a BFO. I have a spare TGS I could convert, or just run it as a Mk3 "BSO". The rake isn't prototypical anyway so embellishing a little more won't be the end of the world!

I think running the TGS at the back is probably the best idea - as one of the stations is a fictional London terminus, the First Class section would have to be at the front, so a stand alone BFO at the back would be odd. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, for that. I've never heard of a BFO. I have a spare TGS I could convert, or just run it as a Mk3 "BSO". The rake isn't prototypical anyway so embellishing a little more won't be the end of the world!

I think running the TGS at the back is probably the best idea - as one of the stations is a fictional London terminus, the First Class section would have to be at the front, so a stand alone BFO at the back would be odd. 

No just use a B4 bogied Bachmann BG, there were only a small amount of brake Mk3s 3 I think, also BGs were replaced by driving van trailers.

So you would have Mk3 FO TSO Buffet with Mk1 BG

oh sorry, i'm not familiar with the Mk1 family. i thought you were asking me to use a Mk2 "Blue/Grey" ("BG"). not keen on using a Mk1 purely for appearance's sake. the modern Mk2s can run with Mk3s quite well, but the Mk1 just looks old fashioned in comparison and i'm more about the look than being strictly true to life. (After all, I'm going to have a 225 running alongside a Brighton Belle!)

I'm not great at "modelling" (i.e. chopping and changing existing models) but i'm playing with the idea of getting a Dapol Mk2 and making a DBSO out of it. apparently Hurst models do a kit? 

• RMweb Premium

Mark 1 BGs were everywhere, they worked with Mk1s, early Mk2s, the mid period Air braked ones, the Aircons and Mk3s

NDV was the BR1 VB version

NDX was the BR1 dual braked version

NEA was the B4 air braked coach which worked with aircon Mk2 and Mk3s

Definitely don't use a TGS as these were unique to HST's and there weren't any loco hauled ones.  There were only 3 mkIIIB Bfo's made and so were comparatively very rare. A MkI Full rake with 110mph bogies is the only real choice.  Having said that the mkIII Pullman trains were if I remember correctly always electric hauled anyway being WCML stock, Class 86's and 87's being the order of the day, class 90's from the late 80's although I suspect that when INTERCITY was relaunched in Swallow livery the Pullman names were removed. 

oh sorry, i'm not familiar with the Mk1 family. i thought you were asking me to use a Mk2 "Blue/Grey" ("BG"). not keen on using a Mk1 purely for appearance's sake. the modern Mk2s can run with Mk3s quite well, but the Mk1 just looks old fashioned in comparison and i'm more about the look than being strictly true to life. (After all, I'm going to have a 225 running alongside a Brighton Belle!)

I'm not great at "modelling" (i.e. chopping and changing existing models) but i'm playing with the idea of getting a Dapol Mk2 and making a DBSO out of it. apparently Hurst models do a kit? 

What about a Hornby Mk3b DVT...? It's profile will match the existing stock and I'm sure you could come up with an valid if slightly stretched reasoning for it's use.

As for running mixed stock, you'd have seen a varied mix of Mk1's, 2's and 3's in the same train on the WCML prior to the formation of fixed sets in the late 1980's. I run my Mk2's with either a Mk1 or Mk3 Buffet car, and a Mk1 BG or Mk3 DVT. 

thank you all for your posts. 

i know TGSs were HST only, but in this instance it was going to be a fictional coach type in the same vein as the prototypica Mk3 BFO. it's not as if i'm going for perfect realism after all. 

similarly, i am aware that Mk1s would prototypically have run in the role that i am describing, but as i won't have any modern image trains on my layout running Mk1s (only a fictional preserved B17 which will run Mk1s as a leisure heritage type train) i don't feel it will fit in with my intended look. 

i already own a Hornby Mk3 DVT, but this has been assigned to a different train i am completing as the colours are wrong between it and the Lima Mk3s (heaven only knows why Hornby changed the colour). 

one Dapol Mk2 BSO did pop up on the Bay of ,e but it had been weathered and i couldn't tell from the photo if the work was of any quality (plus I am unsure whether or not I'll be weathering my own fleet). 

i wasn't aware these were electric only (haven't researched much, just happened to come by some of the carriages and liked the way they looked). i have a Hornby Class 87 I could run with it but the problem is that then the sleeper train that it is currently assigned to won't have a loco and the 47's beige doesn't match the beige of the Hornby Mk3s it is made of. it also still doesn't solve the problem of what to run at the back of the train. also the 87 is Swallow liveried and as you mention the names were removed when the Swallow livery came along so we're just getting ourselves in more of a mess. 

i've just found this youtube video of a 47-hauled InterCIty service at Stockport, so i guess it's not out of the realms of possibility that a 47 was operative on the WCML in the capacity i intend

• 2 weeks later...

Archived