Non-electrified tracks at Barbican, London

Earlier this week, we went to see Richard Thompson at the Barbican, staying overnight in Whitechapel. On the way to the concert, we took the H&C to Barbican; when alighting, I was surprised to see, on the opposite of the platform, a double-track section laid in bullhead, and with no obvious sign of electrification. The tracks were blocked with fences at either end of the station, but seemed in a good state of repair, though not in use. What would these have been? Are they part of the former LMS lines towards Moorgate from Faringdon, isolated since the Thameslink platform lengthening? If so, why were rails and sleepers left in situ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Brian

p.s. the gig was excellent..

Yes, this is part of the Thameslink Moorgate section - I haven't been there recently but I presume Network Rail has recovered the overhead line equipment for use elsewhere.  There is a plan to re-connect them to the Underground tracks (disconnected in the Sixties I think) and use them as stabling for Underground trains, as it would be handy to have space to store some in the central area. 

• RMweb Premium

These lines were part of the NR lines to Moorgate that were cut of by the platform extension at Farringdon. IIRC  they are currently being used for access to the Crossrail construction. The lines are owned by TfL. 

Archived