Semaphores in Kent

• RMweb Premium

As a prelude to our expedition to the adjacent island (the UK!!) this summer coming, we're going to Kent.  I would love to photograph any remaining (non-preserved) semaphore installations if there are any left?  I understand there was a resignalling schmene last summer, did that end it all?

Thanks for your input, signal fans.

Not sure about Kent personally, but the Peterborough -> Ely line has a hell of a lot of old infrastructure. Signalboxes, semaphore and even an old Brakevan! March is rather interesting too, with its derelict platform and the Whitemoor yards.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

Coldgunner, we won't be venturing that way I'm afraid, we were there two years ago, Mrs NHN will not be keen to retrace steps!  Kent is a county we have visited very little, so will be taking a close look at many places there (and sneaking to the preserved railways when I can!).

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if there are some on the Medway Valley line although most have gone.

Cheers.

I think ColinW of this parish could give chapter and verse on that, as his day job refers. That route - at least at the Wateringbury bit and nearby - does offer some attractive countryside and a pleasingly rural railway.

Although in Sussex, Hastings still has semaphores on the platform at the East end.

There are a few semaphore shunt signals at Maidstone West I believe. Otherwise all the rest of the Medway Valley line has been "upgraded".

Old style level crossing gates still exist at East Farleigh and Wateringbury.

About the only semaphores left in the area now are those already mentioned at Deal, along with its art-deco signal box just outside the station, and Canterbury West, along with the over track signal box which are a great sight.

I am pretty sure the whole Medway Valley went colour light a couple of years ago. The Ore/Ashford end of Hastings still has semaphore gantries and shunt signals so is well worth a look.

Apparently The semaphores at the East end of Hastings are likely to be there for quite a few years yet,  But the remaining four at Deal are due to go in 2015. 

There are also some mechanical shunt signals at rochester. 

Cheers

Graham.

Old style level crossing gates still exist at East Farleigh and Wateringbury.

And at Cuxton.  But I would recommend visiting in the next 18 months or so if you want to see them in this form - all three will be replaced by barrier crossings as part of Phase 2 of the East Kent Resignalling.

• I've been reliably informed that the semaphores at the Ore end of Hastings have recently been replaced.....by semaphore signals under the current resignalling scheme! It's all to do with standard signal sighting/braking distances etc. Replacing like for like means they don't have to bother with that side of it!!

I think most other semaphores in Kent have gone. If it's any use, the Isle of Wight electric line still has semaphores and of course the 1938 Underground stock!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again all.  Roy, the IoW we did a 'few' years ago, enjoyed it but we didn't live on an island ourselves then - it would be a bit of a busmans holiday now.......

No man is an island - except Mr Madagascar who lives down the road from us.

Archived