Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Is this flash/rubbish on the BR heavy duty buffers or was it on the prototype ?

I have a number of 4mm white metal castings of  BR heavy duty buffers from Dart Castings (#2350). There is a small square shape and another piece perpendicular to it on the buffer housing and I am not sure if this is part of the moulding process (and should be removed) or if it is an accurate copy of the prototype ? If it is prototypical, is the buffer installed so that the  square shape faces downwards ?

You can actually see it on the photo from their website :

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2350.php

• RMweb Premium

Definitely not flash, the square is meant to be there.

A photo of a similar buffer & sketch can be found here, at the foot.  PS, the footstep is meant to be on the top.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock2c.htm

So the square is meant to be there & as has already been mentioned, its a footstep.

But if you state what the intended vehicle is, someone with more knowledge would be able to say exactly which type of buffer was normally fitted to the particular prototype. Later modification/repair might mean a different type could be fitted.

Edited to add which way up!

Definitely not flash, the square is meant to be there.

But if you state what the intended vehicle is, someone with more knowledge would be able to say exactly which type of buffer was normally fitted to the particular prototype. Later modification/repair might mean a different type could be fitted.

So the square goes on top !

I am ''anglicising'' three Walthers HO slag car kits by widening the wagons, adding OO gauge wheels/bogies, and using OO gauge buffers. I chose this type of buffer as they are quite ''chunky'' and will look right on the slag wagons.

Others have done similar conversions on RMWEB and the results look quite good so I thought I would try it myself.

Archived