Unidentified Parcels stock in 1959

Rail-Online

Hi,

Found this on the edge of a neg and thought it worth sharing.  I don't recognise the parentage of these two vehicles but to me they look pre-grouping with a re-build in LNER days (probably over-plating where the beading has been removed?)  The one on the left vaguely looks GER to me with its short bogies.

A typical 1950s scene (1959), but soon to be withdrawn with all the CCT's and GUV's being constructed.

Any thoughts and info apprecialted!

Tony

post-4594-0-18707500-1362645687_thumb.jpg

I don't have a picture to hand to compare, but are they the vehicles built from a GE underframe and new body in the 1950s by BR?  I agree about the bogies (although they could be from a number of other pregrouping companies) but that's the first thing which springs to mind.  Is the picture taken on the Eastern or Great Eastern section somewhere?

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Found this on the edge of a neg and thought it worth sharing.  I don't recognise the parentage of these two vehicles but to me they look pre-grouping with a re-build in LNER days (probably over-plating where the beading has been removed?)  The one on the left vaguely looks GER to me with its short bogies.

A typical 1950s scene (1959), but soon to be withdrawn with all the CCT's and GUV's being constructed.

Any thoughts and info apprecialted!

Tony

Tony,

These were BR conversions from ex-GER and LNER NC coaches.

My researches over the years have gleaned the following information; (the codes at the end of each line are for individual references - contact me off-group if you need any interpretation).

NO DIAGRAM CCT(E) (GER ILFORD STOCK U-F) (Nos.E71035-99E, SOME FOR ANGLO-SCOTTISH CAR CARRIER)JD-PCLS;LC-P103;BRM1-P197;BPRS-P32;BR6-PL43;CD1;BRM-8/04;

NO DIAGRAM CCT(E) (LNER ILFORD STOCK U-F) (Nos.E71000-34E, SOME FOR ANGLO-SCOTTISH CAR CARRIER)TI-10/61;JD-PCLS;LC-P113;MRAIL-8/00;CD1;BRM-8/04;

NO DIAGRAM PMV (GER ILFORD STOCK U-F) (Nos.E6001-81E)JD-PCLS;LC-P113;BR6-PL41;CD1;

DIAGRAM 817 CCT (Ex LNER U-F) (Nos.E96200-3E) MRC-5/83;BRM1-P198,203;TI-10/61(?);MRAIL-8/00;CD1;

All of these variants are covered by my transfer sheet C64; see http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Guest stuartp

The ones in your pic are the 'No diagram' ex-GER PMV (left) and CCT(E) (right). More photos in David Larkin's "BR GEneral Parcels Rolling Stock' (CCT(E)) and Geoff Gamble's 'Railways in Profile' volume on NPCCS (both). The latter contains a photo taken at Millerhill so they got about a bit.

Here's one I did earlier with John's transfers (ta !):

post-270-0-55818600-1362651116_thumb.jpg

Guest stuartp

Thanks. It's a 'bitsa' - Lima GUV body with 3/4" sawn off, Tri-ang roof, Ratio LNWR bogies with the bolster beefed up a bit and new sides from 20 thou overlaid on the Lima ones. Underframe from wire and Evergreen strip.  

Thanks everyone, is it me or are parcels stock a bit of a 'missing link' in the information printed to modellers/historianns?  There is lots of info on goods stock and although some railways' NPCS is well  covered (eg MR. LMS, ) others are not. LNER and early BR, GER, GCR GNR (in fact most of the LNER constituents) for instance?

Cheers Tony

Thanks everyone, is it me or are parcels stock a bit of a 'missing link' in the information printed to modellers/historianns?  There is lots of info on goods stock and although some railways' NPCS is well  covered (eg MR. LMS, ) others are not. LNER and early BR, GER, GCR GNR (in fact most of the LNER constituents) for instance?

Cheers Tony

There's a lot of material scattered around, but it tends to be at the back of the appropriate Passenger book; not much use if, like me, you're interested in NPCCS but not really in carriages.

Archived