Hi All,

Does anyone have any views on LED colours for yellow/amber signals? Amber is defined as being halfway between yellow.

Looking at some of the Rapid LEDs they have some pure amber and soem orange (although none in SMD - which is sad)

I'm presuming that orange will just look wrong, and was wondering whether I could filter yellow ones at all.

Any thoughts welcome.

As a supplemerntry does anyone have access to BS1376? If so what are the color wavelenghths appllicable to:

Red, Yellow, Green

Hi All,

Does anyone have any views on LED colours for yellow/amber signals? Amber is defined as being halfway between yellow.

Signals are yellow anyway, so not being able to get hold of amber LEDs isn't a problem :)

Standard red and yellow LEDs should do you, the green is the one you have to watch - signal greens are towards the blue end of the range, where most green LEDs are towards the yellow end.  Maplin did do some of a suitable colour, but I can't tell you the specific wavelength, I'm afraid.

HTH

Thanks for the reply.  I know that they are classed as yellow but to me they always look amber compared to yellow LEDs....

especially the new LED ones

23_70_74_web.jpg

Signals are yellow anyway, so not being able to get hold of amber LEDs isn't a problem :)

Standard red and yellow LEDs should do you, the green is the one you have to watch - signal greens are towards the blue end of the range, where most green LEDs are towards the yellow end.  Maplin did do some of a suitable colour, but I can't tell you the specific wavelength, I'm afraid.

HTH

• RMweb Gold

Lamp based signals are difficult/impossible to reproduce accurately with LEDs.

Not unsurprisingly LED signals are easier  -the colours are, as expected, a lot closer.

The signal head in the photo is lamp based.

For signal green I use Cyan LEDs, typically of about 505nm wavelength.

Archived