Wills Cobbles

I've just bought a pack of Wills Cobble sheets with the intention of using them in my new Goods Yard.  What is the best way of painting them to give a good used effect?  Thanks.

I'm about to start doing exactly the same thing on my layout & my method goes like this,

Give them a quick blast with some rattle can primer. I tend to use Hycote red oxide primer from the car spares shop costs about a fiver & lasts ages.

Then using Humbrol Matt 187 Dark Stone give the whole piece a good covering so that the primer has gone & you have a nice painted base.

After leaving the parts for a good couple of days so the enamel goes hard, i mix up a wash using enamel thinners & Humbrol Matt 27 Sea Grey & a dash of Matt Black. Give the area a good wash using a soft bristle brush.

I tend to make the wash very thin & give it a couple of coats until it looks about right. 

Hey Presto weathered cobbles ;)

HTH

Simon

• RMweb Gold

If it's a new Goods Yard, they won't need weathering...

Best way of painting - paint & a brush...

(Sorry, it's Friday...)

Here is an example of my effort at painting said cobbles : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63554-black-country-blues-stubby47-builds-w-e-millward-ltd/?p=912583

Just some watered down acrylics, sploshed on with a brush, not being too careful and mixing lots of shades of the base grey, with patches of green-ish for the mouldy/mossy bits. 

Archived