New Bachmann Midland Railway 1F 0-6-0

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

1870 and particularly 1874 were the regular resident shunters in the Midland road yard at Bath (I'm building 1874) in the 1920's. They would have occasionaly been used on banking turns (although the SDJ Fox Walkers would have been more common) up Bath bank and probably trip workings to the Co Op siding and May's siding but, like others, I've never heard of them venturing further south.

Jerry

Happily, I think they must have been active on the Midland main line between Bristol and Gloucester, plus branches... :D (but only the P4 ones...)

41706 - half cab - how convenient - :) and the longer wheelbase 41879 were both shedded at Bristol in the early 1950's....................

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As a follow on:-

Did the LMS Ex Midland Johnson 2-4-0  reproduced by Ratio

ever run on S&DJR.

LOL.

By happenstance I have this kit someone has tried to convert to P4,

and I will restore it to bog-standard OO.

Not sure which one of the 2-4-0s the Ratio kit represents but they certainly ran south of Bath on the SDJ. I know of at least one picture that shows a Johnson 2-4-0 heading north near Wellow as pilot engine on the Pines - mid 1930s. They were of course common at Bath where, along with the 0-4-4Ts, they worked the majority of the Bath, Bristol locals as well as arriving as pilot locos on trains from the midlands.

Jerry

Archived