HARLEM STEEL

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks from me, too Mr Downes.

Having followed your articles in the 70's in RM and others, I never thought that I would be able to get close to your standards, and I was right.

However, it is great to see you here on RMWeb, and I for one, am very glad that you persevered with your initial posting difficulties.

One day, when I feel that I know you a little better, and when I can produce some models which can even come a close seventy third to the competition that you set, then, perhaps, I may be allowed, or even allow myself to call you Allan.

Until then, I will stick with the 'respect' due to you, and continue to call you Mr Downes, if I may?

Regards

Ian

Thanks for the compliments Alan, it's favourable acknowledgement that makes it all seem worth while... er... got any more?!

Hi Ian

You can call me Allan anytime, nodody else does, it's usually  Oiyu or  "You're nicked!"

Cheers.

Allan.

simply stunning !

please show me more. maybe some how to's also ???

If I remember correctly from reading the original articles when they came out - it's all done in the best Blue Peter fashion. The photo with page 82 and the Harlem Steel text on, look closely at one of the tanks on the right above the buildings, it looks remarkably like a PVA bottle with cap. A lot of it was creative use of normal household items.

You're right Adrian, it IS an empty glue bottle!

Most of the secondary pipe work was made out of the plastic sprues from kits - I had a friend who was a 'kit building freak' whether he wanted the building or not, and he saved me all the leftover sprues. 

Also, I used to invade the grand kids toy cupboards when they were asleep and nicked anything that had 'steelwork potential' stamped all over it - some of those intergalagtic death and destruction machines...well Harlem Steel would never have been the same without a plastic War Of The Worlds going on!!

Biggest bind however, was all the girder work, this had to be made up out of styrene sheet then re enforced behid the spans with steel rod.

Allan.

You're right Adrian, it IS an empty glue bottle!

Allan.

Cheers - I remember being very impressed with it and the scale of it when it was first published. Again from details in the article, looking at the first  and third photo's the bank of 4 large tanks are presumably empty aerosol cans, and on the last photo the small tank on the right is a lid from one of the aerosol cans. As I said very creative use of household items.

Cheers - I remember being very impressed with it and the scale of it when it was first published. Again from details in the article, looking at the first  and third photo's the bank of 4 large tanks are presumably empty aerosol cans, and on the last photo the small tank on the right is a lid from one of the aerosol cans. As I said very creative use of household items.

Ah, exposed at last!!

Yes, definately aerosol cans AND,several of the caps!

BTW, has anyone noticed the ladies suspender clips anywhere?!

Never dust a model, it's instant natural weathering!!! - and especially on locos!!

Anyway, a few passing blasts with a matt varnish aerosol will seal the dust in and make it all look brand new again - aslo works on flock powdered scenery!!

In the 'good ol' days' when we all we ever had was dyed flockpowder for scenery the greens were so bright and ghastly that I used to sweep up the floor, tip the sweepings onto the scenery then immadiately brush it off again - instant 100% improvement!

I wont tell you what I do with locos - and especialy what I did to a full set of brand new EXLEY coaches just befor Brian Monagan arrived to photograph Pipers Mead!!!

it's amazing to see you on this forum, it was your peco building plans book that persuaded me to have a go at scratchbuilding my first building - the country pub. Absolutely superb.

Hi Colin.

I tried that once and couldn't make head nor tail of the drawings - and I wrote the book!!!!!!

Allan

Archived