A 37, a Black 5 and Brittannia

• RMweb Gold

Adverse weather forced me to work at home today, during a lull in the snow I headed out for some supplies and fortunately my son rang up and told me about this move, so I was able to catch it at my local station whilst I was out, the weather was bitter so realtime trains helped as I could accurately forecast it's passing time and get the shopping, stop at the station and be home, sharpish for work and sharpish for me to get in out of the cold.

Eccles Road

11 March 2013

37518, An Gearsasdan, 45407, The Lancashire Fusilier, and 70000, Brittania on 5Z55, 08:35, Sheringham North Norfolk Railway - Castleton Hopwood Ground Frame (ELR) - ECS

post-6662-0-41350000-1363040972_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I think it's coming ...

post-6662-0-66435900-1363080823_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-68190000-1363080864_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-53585200-1363080894_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-80721900-1363080899_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-52947800-1363080904_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-13425100-1363080909_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-39213500-1363080913_thumb.jpg

The eagle eyed signalling enthusiasts may notice (or note) that the remaining redundant signal posts have been removed.

• RMweb Premium

Great pictures; be good to see the faces if that one got sent round at exhibitions...

Makes you wonder; if the 37 and Brit decided to pull away against each other, who'd win the tug-of-war...?!

• RMweb Gold

Whereabouts did 70000 get bent, then?

It might be an optical illusion or down to the camera angle but the right hand side of the lower (front) part of the footplating doesn't look parallel to everything else although it looks similar in some older pics from the same angle (but not all).  I sincerely hope that wasn't the result as that could be expensive to sort.

It might be an optical illusion or down to the camera angle but the right hand side of the lower (front) part of the footplating doesn't look parallel to everything else although it looks similar in some older pics from the same angle (but not all).  I sincerely hope that wasn't the result as that could be expensive to sort.

Hi,

Actually I think it is bent, as apparently 70000 collided with 78019 (BR 2MT) on the North Norfolk Railway on Saturday. See here: http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/

Simon

Yeah - it had a low speed bump at Weybourne Saturday morning - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69185-britannia-70000-withdrawn-from-nnr-steam-gala/

There's a lot of people here (in Sheringham) that are still hoping it will be at next weekend's gala but if it's gone (great pics as always, Beast!), it obviously won't be! For some reason the NNR never advertise movements over the crossing when stock leaves, only when it arrives. I for one thought Britannia was still in the shed at Weybourne... Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah - it had a low speed bump at Weybourne Saturday morning - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69185-britannia-70000-withdrawn-from-nnr-steam-gala/

There's a lot of people here (in Sheringham) that are still hoping it will be at next weekend's gala but if it's gone (great pics as always, Beast!), it obviously won't be! For some reason the NNR never advertise movements over the crossing when stock leaves, only when it arrives. I for one thought Britannia was still in the shed at Weybourne... Pete.

The rumour (and I accept its just that) is that the impact speed was 15mph - not exactly slow speed and is alleged to have occurred because the cylinder drain cocks were open and the class 2 was obscured by steam being issued from said cocks. As for the damage - there is talk of damage to the front of Britannia's frames and rippled platework on the class 2, however given Britannia was given authority to run back over the national network in light steam maybe this is an exaggeration. In any case I expect the RAIB report will make interesting reading.

Archived