Good afternoon, all,

May I ask advice?

Although I do have an airbrush (a Paasche H, crude but effective, and something I'd like to supplement this year with an internal mix brush) it's not possible for me to use it at present.

I have a couple of Ratio coaches that I'd like to move to completion i.e. painting them, which I would do with brush, and Humbrol paint (in stock)

Could I please ask your advice on

1. Do they require priming e.g. with a Holts car primer?

2. Best type of brush - presumably cable, but which, for, searching the catalogues I see a number of ranges available?

3. What size brushes?

Later on in the year, when the temp is above 10C and I can leave doors open to disperse the fumes, I'll get the airbrushes out.

Thanks for any advice given,

CliffH

Good afternoon, all,

May I ask advice?

Although I do have an airbrush (a Paasche H, crude but effective, and something I'd like to supplement this year with an internal mix brush) it's not possible for me to use it at present.

I have a couple of Ratio coaches that I'd like to move to completion i.e. painting them, which I would do with brush, and Humbrol paint (in stock)

Could I please ask your advice on

1. Do they require priming e.g. with a Holts car primer?

2. Best type of brush - presumably cable, but which, for, searching the catalogues I see a number of ranges available?

3. What size brushes?

Later on in the year, when the temp is above 10C and I can leave doors open to disperse the fumes, I'll get the airbrushes out.

Thanks for any advice given,

CliffH

Hi, Cliff,

Firstly, yes, should always use a primer, of some sort. Plastics need to be provided with a "grip" layer for further application of top colour (otherwise you're going to use a lot of "top colour", during the painting proess.

Secondly, with brush application, you should never use the paint straight from the pot. I remember, way back in the '80's" that you should dilute the paint to a point where it drips slowly from the bristles, something like the consistency of single cream (water for acrylics; spirit for enamels).

The idea is to "flood" the area being painted, with minimal guidance from the brush. You will need to apply several layers to achieve the colour density you require.

Thirdly, the brush size is simply the one you feel comfortable with, given the area to be covered. You don't (in my opinion,) need to spend a fortune on these. The Humbrol range of brushes are, actually, very good.

Give it a go - I'm sure you will be pleased with the reults (usual disclaimers apply).

Jim

• RMweb Gold

For what it's worth, I have described the technique I use for brushpainting coach panels here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-8235-painting-coach-panels/

- although it maybe not be to everyone's liking of course.

It works well for me on the Ratio GWR coach sides, which have clearly defined panels, eg:

trains001.jpg

The consistency of the paint is very important. Most paints will require some thinning. Do not over work the paint....brush it on and then leave it alone ! Many hobby paints can dry very quickly and if you fiddle around with it for too long you will end up with brush marks.

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent watercolour brush, you don't say which scale so I'm guessing at 4mm? So a No.1, 2 or 3 (round) should be fine for rolling stock. The above advice is good, thin your paint and aim to use several thin coats not one thick. Clean your brushes thoroughly when you finish and use soap then a final rinse with water before reshaping the point with a bit of spit in the palm of your hand before storing vertically (hairs up!). This way a decent brush will last you years.

Archived