Seaton Tramway

Evening All,

If anyone is interested to have a look, I have recently added a batch of pictures taken on the Seaton Tramway to my Flickr site.  This is the first one and clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others :

8554919837_fac1a2f137_m.jpg
RD1408.  Car No 9 arriving at Colyton. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Alternatively, they can be found in this collection :

Seaton and District Electric Tramway - a set on Flickr

Hope that they are of interest.

• RMweb Premium

Covering much of a former SR branch line the Seaton Tramway is a fascinating operation using cars about 2/3 full size some of which originated on the first owner's Langney Point Tramway near Eastbourne. 

With a new layout based upon a fictitious extension of the SR line from Seaton to Beer now under construction I considered whether or not it would be appropriate to include the trams.  As they run over a trackbed abandoned by BR they would never have run side by side with full size trains and I have concluded they will not appear on the layout.

Nevertheless tramway modelling is an interesting subject in its own right and Seaton (either the station or depot area) while either of the other stations at Colyford or Colyton would be a worthy smaller project.

Covering much of a former SR branch line the Seaton Tramway is a fascinating operation using cars about 2/3 full size some of which originated on the first owner's Langney Point Tramway near Eastbourne. 

With a new layout based upon a fictitious extension of the SR line from Seaton to Beer now under construction I considered whether or not it would be appropriate to include the trams.  As they run over a trackbed abandoned by BR they would never have run side by side with full size trains and I have concluded they will not appear on the layout.

Nevertheless tramway modelling is an interesting subject in its own right and Seaton (either the station or depot area) while either of the other stations at Colyford or Colyton would be a worthy smaller project.

It's a pity that you can't find an excuse to include the trams!

As a matter of interest, where was the original LSWR station in Seaton.  The trams run on a new course into the town to reach their terminus.

• RMweb Premium

The tram depot stands in the old station throat area but the actual station building was alongside the river towards Harbour Road.  If you view Google Maps "Riverside Way Seaton Devon" you will see a currently vacant lot between that road and the river and with the station site more or less plainly discernible.

The tramway diverts at the depot by means of several right-angle bends to reach a new terminus nearer the town centre and now located within the central car park by the new information centre.  It used to come around the fringes of a large holiday camp but that has also now gone and been replaced by a huge Tesco store and another car park.

Archived