Waddon Marsh and Croydon Power Station Track Plan

emt_911

Hopefuly someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a valid track plan of Waddon Marsh and Croydon Power Station for about 1960?

I want to try and build the prototype but so far my searches haven't unearthed anything of any use.

I don't think the NRM plans will be too much help, as they probably won't show much of the electricity and gas works trackage.  There is quite a clear plan from 1955 in the old-maps website, at 1:2500 scale - try co-ordinates 531054 - 165954.  I am pretty sure there will also be an OS extract in the relevant Middleton Press line book.  There was also a small booklet published many years ago which detailed the locomotive stock at the gas works which had a plan as well.

I am also pretty sure one of the Irwell Press magazines BRILL or Bylines covered some of these works.

I don't think the NRM plans will be too much help, as they probably won't show much of the electricity and gas works trackage.  SNIPPED

Only looking at them will confirm that, I'd be surprised if the exchange sidings weren't shown on what are usually 40ft : 1in plans. And they will have the merit that what they do show will be 'correct' in railway terms, as opposed a '1955' OS plan which may not have been updated since the second revision of 1910-3 (third and fourth OS revisions for Surrey were both incomplete - and partial so far as their railway content was concerned)

I have an old fold-out track map published by Quail before they started the book series that includes the track layout for Waddon Marsh and the power station. The map supposedly shows the layout as it was in September 1978.

If you're interested PM me with your email address and I can scan and send the relevant portion of the map.

• 1 year later...

If you are seriously contemplating accurately modelling the whole of the Croydon 'A' and 'B' power stations' and the gas works layouts in the 1960's in 4mm. then you have set yourself a tremendous task.   Do you have the space?   Certainly in other associated forums, people are considering modelling only parts of the area to fit in normal sized family households.   I think you will need a Manor House at least!!!   Best of luck.

Try the Old Maps website, I've just used it for a 1:2500 of Warwick Road; the layout will have to be 44' long to build it to scale!

Edited to add:

there's a nice 1:2500 map on there dated post-1955 which has quite a detailed track plan of the gasworks but the power station seems to fall off the edge! It includes a line that follows round the back of the power station and runs next to Beddington Lane.

Clive, you are so right!   I recently joined the forum to find Waddon Marsh  and Beddington Lane interest spread over at least four subjects.   The WC-W line, as I call it, has a fascinating operating history with amusing incidents.   As a result of two ex-pats from this area, now living in Norfolk, and both separately asking about Waddon Marsh, my main comments have gone on Lifeboatman's "Waddon Marsh in 1970s in OO" forum.   Since both are modelling Waddon Marsh in different BR eras, one west of Purley Way bridge and the other east therefore, my comments there have ignored the 1970's tag.

As Roy says the 'B' site is huge and the final oil tank train operation there was performed using the cut-back (at Philips) Waddon Marsh New Siding as a headshunt even going through the 'tunnel' of Stewart Plastics building.

Whilst Bigbeeline and I prefer the 1950s and 1960s to the 1970s, we have tended to combine all our interest in the '1970s' forum.   I do not really want to open up a separate forum on the earlier periods when the line's history is so interwoven from 1950 to 1984 for freight operations. 

Guys.

Sorry to hijack this subject slightly, but as per Colin's request in the Layouts Forum here are my Beddington Lane photos.

Funny. I only lived in Morden but rarely went to Waddon etc.

post-509-0-15479500-1395866061_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-15089600-1395866062_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-23839900-1395866063_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-46533600-1395866064_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-71361300-1395866065_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-62435200-1395866154_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-94936700-1395866059_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

The warehouses to the right of Beddington Lane Halt were occupied by Barbers Transport and warehousing. I rebuilt a 1927 Scammel lorry in one of those units in the late 1980's.

I'm amazed at all the pictures that have turned up. Hopefully there will be more.

I'm amazed at all the pictures that have turned up. Hopefully there will be more.

Keyboard problems, Ernie? :D

They are really good shots. Many thanks for those Dave.

Dave, I have just returned home from Kent to these amazing photos.   Thank you very much indeed.   I am going to draw Geoff Smith's attention to your views of the 4-CORs as they supplement the one he took and also his notes about them indicate February/March 1972. These Engineers' sidings ceased then to be used again after this stripping operating and so ended the BL sidings.   He noted that in 1969, motor coaches off 4-CORs had been stabled in the Waddon Gasworks sidings en-route for Cohens.   Views of Beddington Lane Sidings and that side of Croydon 'B' power station are very rare and that one you took off the Therapia Lane foot bridge is marvellous.   Your view within the BL box now reminds me that you kindly responded to my 2011 request!   Once again, Dave, my great thanks for these, Colin.

Dave, I have just returned home from Kent to these amazing photos.   Thank you very much indeed.   I am going to draw Geoff Smith's attention to your views of the 4-CORs as they supplement the one he took and also his notes about them indicate February/March 1972. These Engineers' sidings ceased then to be used again after this stripping operating and so ended the BL sidings.   He noted that in 1969, motor coaches off 4-CORs had been stabled in the Waddon Gasworks sidings en-route for Cohens.   Views of Beddington Lane Sidings and that side of Croydon 'B' power station are very rare and that one you took off the Therapia Lane foot bridge is marvellous.   Your view within the BL box now reminds me that you kindly responded to my 2011 request!   Once again, Dave, my great thanks for these, Colin.

Beddington Lane was 28 April 72.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, your noting the date has become invaluable. 3149 arrived on 4.2.1972 as an ECS from Selhurst depot. Geoff smith recorded from the daily SN 110 of 23.3.1972 that two coaches were to be EDL hauled to New Cross Gate (Brockley sidings). The Waddon Marsh signalman recalled that the four coaches left with the trailers stripped to the underframes. Now were these underframes to become "Marlins" or "Mantas"? At this point my question moves out of both my interest and the subject of this forum!!! So we now know that Beddington Lane Sidings were closed after this date. Once again, Dave, my great thanks for this. Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear...I feel that spark of inspiration with these three threads. Does anyone have a signal diagram for Beddington Lane Box?

Also does anyone have a pictures of the area further to east of BL into what the split of the sidings/ goods line? Especially the signals.

Or can anyone recall the arrangements for west bound (from Croydon to Wimbledon) through BL?

Oh dear...I feel that spark of inspiration with these three threads. Does anyone have a signal diagram for Beddington Lane Box?

Also does anyone have a pictures of the area further to east of BL into what the split of the sidings/ goods line? Especially the signals.

Or can anyone recall the arrangements for west bound (from Croydon to Wimbledon) through BL?

Andy,

This is from the 'control' map

post-2484-0-24413700-1397021943_thumb.jpg

There's lots to choose on the line.

Archived