Acme Tram di Milano

Red Devil

Had a quick trip to Milan recently, birthday pressie off Mrs Red Devil, I got to go to Milan v Lazio she got to go shopping, funny how my birthday present cost me so much!

Been several times and have developed a soft spot for the Milan Peter Witt trams, 80 years old and still in fantastic nick, there's about 150 still in frontline every day use, can't be many places left with a superb public transport system that uses vehicles as old as this.

I thought I'd be able to pick up an ACME n gauge Tram di Milano fairly easily, but no, none to be seen anywhere, so as per normal the internet is your friend and a small box arrived from Italy this week.

First thoughts are, bloody hell that's small, 1:160 trams aren't big. Nice little model but I want it to run, I had one of these in hand for an n gauge project http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorized-Chassis-TU-KIHA40000-2-motor-Tsugawa-Yokou-N-scale-/360612563830?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item53f62f0b76 So out with the dremel and the body was swiftly opened (it's like an EFE with metal bars running through to connect 4 main body parts) 

On examining it looked like it would fit so on we went and fitted the chassis, resulting in this

post-7067-0-31881200-1363429771_thumb.jpg

I've still to attach the correct bogie sideframes (The ACME one's will fit) and stick a weight in it. Roof will be repainted a darker grey and have a new pantograph fitted.

I can see a very small shelf type layout coming up, right where do I get plans for La Scala Opera House in 1:160.......!

Chassis is 4.5v but that shouldn't be a problem as I'll only be using the Tsugawa chassis for them so track voltage will be 4.5v.

Archived