What type of wagon is this?

sub39h

Hi there,

Apologies as I don't even know where to begin to search, so I haven't had much success finding an answer. The photo itself is from RMWeb (found through Google Images) but there is limited information attached to the photo. 

post-8271-096425500%201284808882_thumb.j

I've managed to win 3 of these off eBay, and had one in the loft from when I was a boy. I was planning on running them with some Bachmann steel carriers. I like the look of them, so whether they're prototypical or not I don't really care, but was just wondering if anyone could give me any information about what they're called, where they ran and in what sorts of rakes and whether there are any major discrepancies in the model. (My understanding is that the one in the photo has been modified.)

Many thanks,

S. 

Edited by sub39h

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I didn't read your OP carefully - the photo shows a model of a BGA and the RMweb thread on which it was posted suggests the model was converted from the "hopelessly short Lima KHA", which is more likely what you've got.  However I can't find anything coded KHA on the web which could conceivably be the source for the models kevpeo converted.  There should be someone round here who knows more than 0 about modern wagons and can give you a useful answer though.

• 2 weeks later...

ok the wagons have come. they look great! (except for the MASSIVE couplers they have haha!) they say that they're BHAs on the side of them. so that gives me a basis to get some more information. 

BHA could be open or closed, as mentioned very rare, I managed to photo three of them, one in both conditions. For example http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bgabhabja/e3c78d9d1

Paul Bartlett

BHA could be open or closed, as mentioned very rare, I managed to photo three of them, one in both conditions. For example http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bgabhabja/e3c78d9d1

Paul Bartlett

Paul Bartlett

From memory these were are very small batch of prototype steel carrying wagons for the Railfreight Metals sub sector - reckon there were less than ten in total with 96xxxx numbers. This numbering sequence being around the older service vehicles such as brake tenders 964xxx, and before the Boplates at 965xxx.

Cant recall anymore except the bright red curtains was their first livery. 

From memory these were are very small batch of prototype steel carrying wagons for the Railfreight Metals sub sector - reckon there were less than ten in total with 96xxxx numbers. This numbering sequence being around the older service vehicles such as brake tenders 964xxx, and before the Boplates at 965xxx.

Cant recall anymore except the bright red curtains was their first livery. 

There were 4 4 BGA 961000 - 3 and

4 BHA 962000 - 3 and

4 BJA 963000 - 3

They have a number of unusual features, not least restricted to 90tonne GLW so that they could be used on the continent, they have BR type running numbers but also the basic exchange code 21 70 and other brandings suitable for continental use - including tie down cleats for the ferries.

Paul Bartlett

[the number series follows on the BDA and BCA]

thanks for the above. i have put a bid in on eBay for a few more. i might end up with the entire fleet at this rate! i think they're a very attractive wagon tho. they don't seem to be very prototypical. the length doesn't bother me, but the underframes are all wrong. i guess on my railway this will be the "working" version that in real life never made it into production  :yes:

lol the one in the photo has been heavily modified mate. i do really like the original too tho!

but i understand what the chap who modified it was getting at. it is labelled as a BHA, but the underframe looks more like a KHA. it's too short to be a KHA and too long to be a BHA, so in terms of prototypical modelling it's not the greatest show. i think it's very attractive all the same

Edited by sub39h

• 8 years later...

Bizarrely, I see that Rivarossi are now making a prototypically correct model of this but, of course, in HO (why, oh why didn't we go to HO gauge in the UK back in the 80s?):   https://uk.rivarossi.com/products/rivarossi-h0-187-br-4-axle-tarpaulin-wagon-railfreight-metal-livery-period-iv-hr6495

9 hours ago, Dixie Dean said:

Bizarrely, I see that Rivarossi are now making a prototypically correct model of this but, of course, in HO (why, oh why didn't we go to HO gauge in the UK back in the 80s?):   https://uk.rivarossi.com/products/rivarossi-h0-187-br-4-axle-tarpaulin-wagon-railfreight-metal-livery-period-iv-hr6495

I don't think there is anything 'prototypically correct' about that issue - its the same continental wagon churned out in a different (non-authentic) livery.

jon

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Dixie Dean said:

(why, oh why didn't we go to HO gauge in the UK back in the 80s?)

Ask Lima, they were the last firm to make a serious attempt at that in the 1970s. There's not a big enough market for it. To make a serious attempt you'd have to introduce a huge range of products all at once at no premium to the 00 equivalents, even if you stuck to diesel and electric prototypes only.

6 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Chances are if it's to Continental loading gauge it will be close to 4mm scale size, though there are numerous detail differences. Two obvious ones: fabricated instead of cast frame bogies; the roof profile is curved instead of angles.

The width and height are about correct, though the vehicle is considerably too short. The prototype is about the same length as a Mk 3 coach. The end framing isn't meaty enough, either. Using one and a bit hoods will give you something closer to the real thing.