If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from West Sussex

marcus

Hi to everybody on RMweb.

I'm a raw beginner at railway modelling (only played with my brother's train set when I was a kid).

Many decades later, and close to retirement, I thought I'd add an extra hobby. I've always loved steam trains (a boyhood train-spotter) and the DCC developments look so interesting. So I bought a DCC fitted "train set" by Hornby, with the extra track packs, just to get things up-and-running quickly. I also realised very quickly, this was not enough. So I bought the Winrail X2 to plan a new layout. Difficult at first, but soon got the hang of basics. After a few designs, I realised the sizes and radii of the HO tracks were not correct. The Hornby R607 has a radius of 438mm. Drawing a 438 rad (draw arc) is smaller than the track radius. I am using the Hornby HO library. Is there something simple I haven't done? Any help would be appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Hello amd welcome Marcus,

I see your already hurtling down that slippery slop of wanting more More MORE model railways!

Not that there is such a thing. :)

You may want to post your ideas/questions regarding your future model plans in “Layout & Track Design”, where there is plenty of help and advice.

(We also like pictures.)

Enjoy the hobby and this site,

Kev.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

Maybe I'll put this question on “Layout & Track Design”. I don't really want MORE, just different to the Hornby TrakMat, maybe just a couple of better locos. Oh, and sound of course, and maybe computer control, and..... :scratchhead:

The Hornby track radius diagram does show the radius is to the centre of the track.

I live in Pulborough, West Sussex.

Thanks

Marcus

post-18721-0-27224800-1363509771_thumb.jpg

After playing around with Winrail some more, I noticed there was 2 sizes of rails with the same number, e.g. R607. This is where the radius discrepancy lay - although I don't know why.

So I decided to re-install Winrail and start again from scratch, and the sizes seem to match the real world now - to scale of course.

So to continue now to find a suitable layout for my small baseboard - 1600 x 1775mm, and that's with the extension. I've looked in books and layouts on the web, so I'll be inviting comments when I have a layout. I'll put this on the layout and track design forum. I want a shunting yard and a passenger station, but that seems a lot for such a small baseboard.

Thanks

Marcus

Archived