track maintenance or shunting loco

SGJ

post-9437-0-75577900-1363465244_thumb.jpg

Earlyer today I went to Midland Road Just outside of the new building on the new sidings there was a track vehicle and think it would make a nice project.

I don't know what it would be used for but it did look nice, is it a shunting loco or some type of O-T-P ?

SGJ

• 3 weeks later...

that is indeed the "mule" for the new wheel lathe at Midland Road, the new building is the lathe and completed in the last month or so.

The "mule" has worked this week, got a picture with a wagon behind it earlier today,

does mule stand for anything in perticula or is it a nickname ?

SGJ

(pic taken 07 April 2013 )

post-9437-0-30831400-1365337677_thumb.jpg

Mule seems to be a term that has been employed for a device used to move vehicles within a limited area, for instance under the loading racks of an oil refinery, or over the unloading hoppers at a port. Sometimes they resemble a small locomotive, quite often they're simply a device that sits between the rails, and is hitched to a wagon axle or coupling to move it (Here's an example of this type:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/oilterminals/h3e51070#h3e51070 ). Googling 'Fowey Harbour' may produce images of the latter type, whilst the former Redland quarry at Mountsorrel has examples resembling locos.

The "mule" has worked this week, got a picture with a wagon behind it earlier today,

does mule stand for anything in perticula or is it a nickname ?

SGJ

(pic taken 07 April 2013 )

In the UK animal shunting was AFAIK normally done with horses so I wonder whether the term came from N. America where I think mules (a usually but not always infertile hybrid between a horse and a donkey) were far more widely used as pack and draft animals.

On ships, especially large sailing ships, the small auxiliary steam engine used to power capstans and winches was known as a donkey engine so this is quite a common etymology

• 1 year later...

The term "mule" is in quite widespread use for dedicated shunting locomotives, most famously the locomotives used to haul ships through the locks of the Panama Canal.  The term is fairly common in Latin America.

The comparable term "goat" is widely used in the USA for small, dedicated yard shunters (erm, "switchers") or its equivalent "Sik" used in Holland.

Some are remote controlled for shunting onto wheel lathes at various depots.

I think this one at Midland Road is remote / radio controlled, a man was stood next to it when moving a wagon a few weeks ago, I didn't see anyone in its cab but i didn't have the best of views

SGJ

Archived