difference between pushrod and clasp brakes

I have a parkside kit of a vac braked 16 ton wagon, and want to convert it from a mxv to a mcv just to aadd a variation to my train. So can anybody point me to somewhere showing the difference between the vac fitted morton brakes and the vac fitted clasp brakes, the clasp version being the one i want to model.

Ta mucho grasias

• RMweb Premium

There is a topic currently running that in part discusses this. However, I've just done a search and cannot find it, either!

Certainly I've been looking at it within the last 48 hours.

• RMweb Premium

I have a parkside kit of a vac braked 16 ton wagon, and want to convert it from a mxv to a mcv just to aadd a variation to my train. So can anybody point me to somewhere showing the difference between the vac fitted morton brakes and the vac fitted clasp brakes, the clasp version being the one i want to model.

Ta mucho grasias

Hi Chessy

Have you checked out Paul Bartlett's photos http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralclaspvb and http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmortonmxv

If you want to model a clasp braked 16 ton mineral you'd be better off starting with the Parkside unfitted 1/108. Parkside's vacumm braked mineral doesn't actually represent anything. It has a 10' chassis with a 1/108 body. All the clasp braked 1/108 minerals had a 9' chassis. Indeed all the BR 16 ton minerals had 9' chassis except for a batch built in the early 70s with a 10' chassis, these had longer bodies though. Red Panda do a 10' clasp braked chassis (avaliable through Parkside) from which the brakegear could be taken and altered to fit the 9' chassis. 

Justin

To enlarge a little on what Justin says; the Red Panda underframe, available from Parkside, can be carefully cut to provide a 9' clasp-braked underframe. I've done half-a-dozen, and the most difficult part is cut'n'shutting the brake lever, as the end-section is so small. I eventually resorted to reinforcing it with some .010" strip, fixed carefully to the back for about 5-10mm to either side of the join. The Red Panda kit includes annotated drawings show where to cut the various components. Not all vehicles with this brake-gear were equipped with vacuum-cylinders, as BR had a volte-face about fitting vacuum brakes to 16-tonners in the middle of the programme. Whilst some were retro-fitted when a second change of policy occured, I saw at least one still unfitted in 1974.

There were a relatively small number of 1/108 minerals fitted with clasp brakes in the LMS style, with centrally-mounted V-hangers and no lifting links. They were built for trials of air-brakes for Westinghouse, reverting to vacuum brakes after the trials had finished:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralwestinghouse

Archived