How do I remove the bogie sideframes from a Class 60?

Hey all,

I've had this Hornby Class 60 for almost a year now. I do like locos in pristine condition, however I could only manage to paint the shiny buffers black. I don't know how to remove the bogie sideframes of the model? Anyone knows how? I want to paint the wheels black- their are too shiny!!

I saw the PDF from Hornby's website...but still couldn't figure it out.

Do they locate in the same way as those on the 50, I wonder? The exploded diagram suggests so. The centre assembly that holds the wheels and gears has a pair of pins moulded into either side. These engage in two protruding moulded tubes on the back of the side frame ( a very tight fit). On the Fifty, these tubes also serve to locate the pick-ups. When I removed the Fifty ones (I was using them to re-motor some old Mainline 56s), ISTR using a screwdriver between sideframe and centre to gently lever them apart.

You need the bogie out of the chassis to do this. With the class 60 diagram before you (found here  http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/service-sheets/Hornby-service-sheets-251-300/?page=4  ) look for the piece like a four legged table with wings on. It is shown above the right hand bogie, and at the top of the dotted enclosure numbered '1' which surrounds the exploded diagram of the left hand bogie's parts.

That 'four legged table with wings on' is the clip which retains the bogie in the chassis block, and has to be unclipped (two lugs engaged each side) from the bogie tower to release it from the chassis. With the bogie out of the chassis, the entire outside frame moulding may be released from the bogie tower. I suspect it is clipped in place on the centre crossbar shown in the diagram running across the middle of the outside frames piece, as that appears to be the most substantial cross member. Good luck, tell us how you get on.

Got to be honest, I can always get the bogie side frames off without taking the body or the bogies off.

There are 4 "clips" and with a small "precision" screwdriver they do pop out. You can then get at the wheels to paint them, and weather the entire bogie frame / mask off the wheels & electrics and spray the underframe.

As with all this plastic stuff.....don't break the clips or the side frame...

Good luck..

That Mick is a tip that the brain I keep in a pickling jar didn't compute !

You are of course right....

Brings back a memory of putting a PP3 9v battery on my track as a kid to move engines about.... Spin it round and they go the other way.... Brilliant !

Got to be honest, I can always get the bogie side frames off without taking the body or the bogies off.

There are 4 "clips" and with a small "precision" screwdriver they do pop out. You can then get at the wheels to paint them, and weather the entire bogie frame / mask off the wheels & electrics and spray the underframe.

As with all this plastic stuff.....don't break the clips or the side frame...

Good luck..

Where are those ''clips'' you talk about?

Here you go:

Beware though, you can snap the cross members, but it's the only way of getting the side frame off.

Prize down the side frame and you will see 4 lugs, a quick flick with a fine blade screwdriver and the clip will pop out:

post-1261-0-82213200-1363851819.jpg

When all 4 done, you have the frame off, you can spray it separately, paint the wheels and also mask off the wheels and give the whole underframe a going over.

That's how I do mine anyway.

post-1261-0-44920300-1363851890.jpg

Regards

Nick

Archived