Bachmann WD Austerity with Locolines sound

RedgateModels

Ian,

I don't have a comment except that the Austerity was derived, I think, from the Stanier 8F.

In this clip,

it definitely has a Stanier Hooter, as you can hear for yourself.

In preservation, other whistles have been fitted to some locos, maybe this in an example. Which loco was recorded for the sound project? It is more hooter than whistle, but the right type? Who knows?

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian

I'm just about to fit sound to one of these and have read elsewhere that even with the pcb & pcb mount removed, these WD 2-8-0s are very tight for space.

1. Was this your experience?

2. Which decoder did you get from Locolines for the project?

3. Is there a problem that you may know about with Locolines website - I can't see any DCC sound products on there at all?

Hope you can help.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

1: With the pcb removed there is room for say a Lenz Standard decoder but not a Loksound

2: Loksound V4, mounted in the tender with an ABS-230-RC oval speaker pointing down at the track. I had to file a flat on the speaker frame to allow the decoder to fit on it following the slope of the coal space

3: Give them a call, it's not listed on their website

post-6717-0-30392000-1369220862_thumb.jpg

I used a micro 4 way connector from eBay to connect the loco to the tender

• RMweb Gold

No, sorry, I took the pic before I got the decoder from Locolines, basically I filed a slope to the front of the black plastic frame (opposite to the end where the electical connections are) to allow the decoder to rest just touching the "floor" of the chassis and sloping back and up following the internal slope of the coal space cast into the tender top.

post-6717-0-53281500-1369225942.png

As the original weight was discarded I added some lead in the coal space underneath a card false floor sealed to the sides, then added some real coal held in with PVA. The loco will be out on show at the Lincoln Show June 1st & 2nd so if I get chance I'll take some more photos ;)

Hi Ian

I've jut fitted the Locolines decoder and the ABS speaker in my latest acquisition. The sound project is excellent and that speaker - man, its the d's bs!!

Thanks for the recommendation and the hints & tips.

See you in November if not before.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ian

I'm just about to fit sound to one of these and have read elsewhere that even with the pcb & pcb mount removed, these WD 2-8-0s are very tight for space.

1. Was this your experience?

2. Which decoder did you get from Locolines for the project?

3. Is there a problem that you may know about with Locolines website - I can't see any DCC sound products on there at all?

Hope you can help.

just ring 01268 729499

Archived