RMweb

Samsung TV and recording programmes - help!

coachmann

Having narrowed my choice of a future new TV to Samsung, what is the best way to record programmes off digital freeview? Currently my airial leads run via a Freeview box with hard drive to a non-Freeview TV.

Is it better to buy a TV with built in hard drive known as PVR (Personal Video Recording) or an normal external DVD recorder?

Also, is the BT box on offer for £5.00 month the answer...I think it allows one to scroll back and capture programmes missed the week before etc.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

Hi coach sorry to throw a spanner in the works.Buy a Panasonic (very customer friendly) plus free 5 year guarantee. For recording will you want to archive? do you wish to record 2 channels at once. I would recomend either the Pana dvd recorder with hard drive record one channel only,or similar machine with twin tuner again ease of use and customer friendly.Again personal choice but I would go for a smart TV with built in wi-fi you pays your money and takes your choice.I sell them for a living used to repair them but I'm a dinosaur.You will get loads of differing opinions coming in soon!!..

Are you a loyal brand man ie do you tend to stick with a certain camera manufacturer or do you go for what is best? or do you find one particular manufacturer best 

Just noticed about BT box some of this You View advertising is very misleading it is internet dependent but you can only watch back certain tv channels ie BBc I player the ITV equivalent Ch4 on demand it's not every channel but remember You view is very similar to a Smart TV and you will get a lot of those facilities on a smart TV not all again becuase of licensing some smart TV's only have BBc iplayer and not ITV player or Channel 4on demand

• RMweb Premium

Recording - can't really go wrong with a Humax PVR, if you have decent internet look at the new Youview certified Freeview HD PVR.

TVs are a personal choice, Samsung are good, Panasonic are good, I like the higher quality Sonys (ie not the cheap ones).

• RMweb Gold

I have the talktalk version of the YouView box and find it works well.  The only issue is if the broadcaster changes the programmes at short notice before the box updates its Guide.

The i player etc seem to start faster on the box tan if I use the one built into the TV.

The Yoou View box also has the equivalent of i player for most channels unlike most TVs.

I don't know about BT's YouView box but mine also has various freebies available from the web (called talktalkTV or something) and also has the ability to subscribe to various Sky packages using the web connection to play them.  Whether that works depends on the speed of your internet - talktalk specify a  minmum of 5Mb/sec for the subscription channels.  i player will generally work on a somewhat slower connection.

David

Recording - can't really go wrong with a Humax PVR, if you have decent internet look at the new Youview certified Freeview HD PVR.

What he said.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldnt touch a Sony with a barge pole :no: TBH they are/were tarted up Samsungs with a bit of Sony magic thrown in. I will let you guess what the majority of the trade thinks of them. :jester:

Mine is fine, bought after looking at quite a lot

W series

I have always bought Panasonic and Sony products in the past (Video camcorders, Video editting machines and what-not). So I naturally read reviews about Panny TV's when looking for better sound quality flat screen TV's. Panasonic was quickly ditched after reading reviews and I finally settled on Samsung as delivering better sound without having to buy am exterior sound system.

Internet and iPod talk etc is well over my head I'm afraid. I cannot say I have decent Internet. All I require is a good picture TV, above average sound 'cos I'm old and cannot hear what folk are saying when music and perifery sounds drown them out. And I need a facilty for choosing off an on-screen menu which digital channels to record for our later viewing. With my present set up its dead east going but the minus's are bloody awful sound even through our external speakers, and the rip-off digibox won't allow us to view live programs while it is recording off a different channel.

Connected up a borrowed Samsung 32inch TV to the Sony digibox with hard drive Unit today and all is well. The TV was used without the digibox and the sound altered to 'Clear Speech' plus the backlight was brightened a couple of stops. On-screen manu and everying great. The TV must have an internal changeover switch which senses the digibox's zapper so that the programmes come via that route instead plus all the recoded programmes on its hard drive. So in short, all is well and I know now that i only need buy a TV.

Thanks for everyones responses.

Larry

Our Samsung lasted less than 3 years before the screen failed just £470 for a new screen Comets best offer £150 of vouchers.........

Sorry to hear that. Probably bad luck that might aflict any of the brands.

On another topic, I have wired up from hard disc player to TV with Scart plugs, but I seem to recall there is another type of plug that now delivers a far better picture?

On another topic, I have wired up from hard disc player to TV with Scart plugs, but I seem to recall there is another type of plug that now delivers a far better picture?

HDMI is what you're thinking of.

Just don't believe the man in Currys when he tells you you need to spend £60 on the cable.

Archived