Industrial locos service repaired at BR Engine sheds?

steve fay

Steve,

Such things took place over many years.

In South Wales, industrial locos were definitely repaired at Ebbw Jct. - Canton and Margam depots, and most likely Landore as well.

The Planet shunter from Machen Quarry was once repaired at Ebbw Jct as was 'Menelaus' the Pecket B3 from NCB Marine Colliery, Cwm.

At Canton I have seen Cl.11 shunter 12054 owned by A.R.Adams of Newport but hired out to various open cast sites and collieries; also D9530 in its light blue livery visited Canton from NCB Mardy Colliery on several occasions. At least one of the Cl.03 shunters from Coed Ely Colliery also visited Canton, and Swindon Works, and also at least one diesel from the NCB Mountain Ash system was repaired at Canton.

In addition GKN later ASW Yorkshire Engine Co. shunters were regulars at Canton, primarily for tyre turning.

I even saw the GWS 0-4-2T 1466 in the old ground lathe section of the DMU shed many years ago, on its' way back to Didcot from filming sequences for 'Young Winston' in the Neath Valley.

I'm also aware of an NCB Hunslet 18" tank from (IIRC) Garw Colliery visiting Margam in the early 1970s.

Hope this helps.

Brian R

Certainly seen a photograph of a Cannock chase colliery loco, possibly from Holly Bank, on Ryecroft shed, Walsall for repairs.Also recall at least one BSC Shelton Janus diesel transiting through Bescot on it's way to and from Tyseley depot. I can only assume it was for tyre turning or similar. I know the loco was stabled in the downside brakevan siding over a weekend waiting to be marshalled into a train destined for Stoke yard. I assume there were many dozens of movements over the network each year back in "thowld days".

The Cl.03 No.1 shown in the fiirst link was from the NCB Coed Ely Colliery

The black liveried NBL shunter No.99 in the second link was a former BSC East Moors loco that was sold to the Cardiff based Park & Wellfield Coal Co. I don't believe they ever used it and it was stored at Canton for some time before (don't think it was ever worked on there) being put to the torch by Woodham Brothers Ltd at Barry Docks.

Brian R

The Merthyr Vale Peckett No.6  went to Cardiff Canton for tyre turning, it wasn't done as the tyres were too thin so it went to be scrapped at a Newport scrapyard. As stated above the VF austerity from Garw went to Canton also for tyre turning it went back to Garw and they never used it again not even replacing the rods. It subsequently saw some work at Mountain Ash from 1979 to early 1981.

There is a photo of ex WD 134 being lifted at Wolverhampton shed in 1963 that has been published a couple of times, it ran hot going to Acton Hall Colliery Featherstone when sold to the NCB.

I have also seen photos of ICI steam locos at Carlisle Kingmoor when on route to new workplaces.

Was about to mention the Guinness 08s being repaired at OOC but I see that's already been posted. Thanks - I hadn't seen that picture before!

Apparently a few years ago the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway managed to get an OOC engineer up to Wallingford to take a look at "Unicorn", which has shifted cranks. The moment the fitter saw it, he said "Oh.... It's THAT one!"

There is a photo of ex WD 134 being lifted at Wolverhampton shed in 1963 that has been published a couple of times, it ran hot going to Acton Hall Colliery Featherstone when sold to the NCB.

I have now had time to check on this it was ex WD 143 in fact that was the loco stopped at a BR shed for repairs. This was Bagnall austerity no2740 0f 1944 and it was at Worcester shed on 19th September 1965. The photo is in Railway Bylines of September 2007 and the loco has 7029 Clun Castle next to it.

post-702-0-48431900-1365115120_thumb.jpg

Localy, the "American Radiator Co" later "Ideal Standard" owned from about 1904 a Peckit 0-4-0ST, from the company's connection with the Hull & Barnsley Rly at Ella Street, the engine was on occasion despatched to Springhead works for attention.

Archived