Royal Mail/Parcels services, 1980's

cromptonnut

Ok, quick background: future project of a OO small terminus station with attached Royal Mail depot attached which receives mail trains from "various locations".  Something like Southend Victoria (although this would be set in third rail territory) springs to mind.  If anyone can help me with the following points or a website that gives more inspiration I'd be grateful :)

MLV

I'm contemplating getting an MLV to go with my Bachmann CEP for a forthcoming 4mm project based on a station with attached Royal Mail depot.

I know that these units were capable of running "off the juice" (I believe Redhill-Tonbridge was a famous one, almost at the range of the batteries requiring greens all the way and some careful driving) so the yard being unelectrified will work well, but I don't have any information on the actual workings.

Would the MLV be attached to a service train (locked out of use, of course), then detatched as appropriate and driven under battery power into the Royal Mail sidings, or would they have run as separate services in most cases?

Would MLV's ever have tail loads such as a GUV or a BG?

Class 128 Parcels Unit

Would these have been seen in the same locations as an MLV?  Again, always separate or tagged on to service trains?  I have seen these with tail loads.

What stock for local hauled services?

Finally, what stock.  Blue or blue/grey and I can think of BG's and GUVS in mixed formations for parcels/mail services but would any other stock have been in use in mixed formations at that time?

... and what to pull 'em?

The 3rd rail stock sets the layout firmly "south of the river" somewhere and thus presumably 33s and 73s would have been used, I'm guessing the occasional visiting 47 too but would any other locos have been seen on cross-regional postal services during that time?  Or a case of whatever might have been available wherever the service originated for (on the basis that it would then go back on the return working)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'll look into Tonbridge - and I am aware that Redhill station also had a 'Mail Bay' (father in law used to work there) but that's too small for what I had in mind :)

I wasn't necessarily looking to replicate a real location, but would like to use prototypical practices where I can.

If you're looking at the early part of the 1980s, you could justify using the various ex-SR vans (as modelled by Parkside, Hornby and soon, Bachmann) Pretty certain I've seen shots of an MLV with one or two of these (the Van B, IIRC)as tail traffic. Certainly, the MLVs were designed to run with tail traffic.

I can't think of any locations where MLVs and Parcels DMMUs ran together; you might have to create a back story for that. Perhaps a terminus station off the West London Line...

It might be worth having a look for anything about 'Bricklayers' Arms'- IIRC, this served as a Parcels Concentration Depot for South London, and had originally been the 'City' terminus for the SER (City workers being more used to long walks in those days).

As to locos; by the time you're talking about, you might have 31s from the WR and ER, and possibly 25s from the LMR.

Early 80s, the MLVs were predominantly attached to EMUs, mostly on boat trains, but also other service trains (some pics in the long MLV thread around here). They also ran solo as some kind of parcels service around that time. I was spotting in Kent from 1976ish up to 1986 and never saw an MLV with tail traffic. They didn't stray too far from the SE division either.

The vast majority of parcels/papers/mail trains in Kent around that period were 73-hauled, with the 4-wheel SR CCT/PMV, and BR CCT gradually dying out, plus the usual mix of GUV, BG, SR B, and other oddments.

128's definitely ran in service trains was well as on their own as there was a picture of one in an 1980s Platform 5 book leading a Class 108 DMU powered Buxton-Manchester service. And if you are modelling the very early 80s then you can also justify running all kinds of pre-Nationalization stock such as Siphons, PMV's etc.

• 1 year later...

18 months later and I finally get round to picking up a blue/grey MLV in the Gaugemaster sale..  I've collected two CEPs and a VEP in the meantime but can't run a 12 car formation on my current project but it will fit an 8+1.

Chipped - easy enough - now to worry about the parcels terminal :)

Archived