Old Photos from 1920s (?) found in a secondhand book

The canopy details in the first photo of post #18 are identical to those at Tynemouth but if so would have to be before electrification in 1904. 

However this appears to be a standard NER design of canopy, as it also appears at Bridlington and probably elsewhere too. 

Some interesting and unusual prototypes there.

I thought Tymemouth too when I saw the canopy but, as noted, it was a standard design.  Besides,  doubt if the photo is pre-electrification.  The headgear of the lady in Third Class looks appropriate for 1923 so I'd assume the picture to be contemporary with all the others.

Just read on another site that the "L&NER" style naming was only valid for a few months in 1923.

March 1923 L.&N.E.R.   ( Full stops )

May 1923   L&NER       ( No full stops )

June 1923  LNER        ( No '&' )

If this is true, then D21 1242 was photographed around May/June 1923.

Yes, but if those are the dates of introduction, they only give you the earliest date at which these styles might have been seen. What it doesn't tell you is how long any of these remained on a particular engine or tender until it was replaced by a later style.

Nick

attachicon.gif10.LMS 14418.jpg

LMS 14418 "BEN MHEADHOIN" an ex Highland Railway 'Large Ben' 4-4-0 with its original 6 wheel tender replaced by a 8 wheel tender originally fitted to an 0-6-0.  I assume the device on the cab side is a single line tablet catching apparatus.  It is at the head of a mixed train comprising an open wagon covered by a tarpaulin, a 6-wheel van with end doors and ventilated sides, another two or possibly three open wagons also covered by tarpaulins, a couple of full brakes or parcel vans - the first a bogie and the second possibly 6-wheel, followed by a number of coaches.  In the distance is a steel lattice footbridge followed by a lattice girder overbridge.  There is a small shelter on the near platform but the main building is on the far side - the roof and chimneys can be seen above the train behind the near signal post.  The roof of a signal cabin can be seen above the loco tender.  Note the two sidings in the foreground laid with flat bottom rail spiked directly to the sleepers.

I think this is Georgemas Junction on the Far North Line.  Comparing the scene with photos I took there in 1988 and allowing for the passage of time just about everything fits, down to the small plate (or whatever) fixed to the lattice in the centre of the footbridge.  The overbridge beyond has been replaced by a new reinforced concrete structure.  The only curious thing is the signal in the foreground, which I thought could be a junction signal although it does have lower 'S' (shunt ?) arms.  However the junction for the Thurso line is further back beyond the signal cabin for which the bracket signal in the distance presumably applies.

That is indeed Georgemas Junction; you can see the water column that served the end of the platform for the Thurso branch.  The water column beside the signal is characteristically in the form of a Doric Column and as far as I know is the only one of its type on the Highland.

Whilst I had not been aware that Georgemas had any flat bottom rail, the Lybster branch was all laid in it at construction so it does not take too much speculation to suggest that some of the branch was relaid in bullhead and the original raken up for reuse in a nearby siding/goods yard.

The signal serves the platform that the train is standing in and the goods loop to the right of the platform.  The lower arms are "shunt ahead" signals and allowed the train to enter the block section without completely blocking back - given that this is the only signal that has been operated, the train must be remarshalling; possibly the merging of a train from Thurso to form the joint train south.

The first vehicle looks as if it may be a fish wagon, the second is definately a fish van (LNWR or WCJS I think) - they must be fitted to be at the head of the train so this would make sense.  You can see the Highland TPO in the middle of the train (the flat sided thinner looking one).  Ben Mheadhoin was outshopped in LMS red in Feb 1924 and was repainted black in 1930 -  the paintwork looks pristine so I would say no later than 1926 for this picture.

Great picture; are you able to offer prints?

There are obviously some very knowledgeable people on RMweb and so here's a challenge, if PGH doesn't mind. One of the pictures not commented on is PGH's avatar. He was a part-time engineman and I believe the image is a grab from video movie. Can anyone guess the location and the locomotive?     :mail:

There are obviously some very knowledgeable people on RMweb and so here's a challenge, if PGH doesn't mind. One of the pictures not commented on is PGH's avatar. He was a part-time engineman and I believe the image is a grab from video movie. Can anyone guess the location and the locomotive?     :mail:

Oh dear, Oh dear !   :offtopic:

Perhaps I should add it was taken about 20 years ago and the video was taken by guess who ?

Larry, I thought you were supposed to be busy laying track !   :mosking:

Just read on another site that the "L&NER" style naming was only valid for a few months in 1923.

March 1923 L.&N.E.R.   ( Full stops )

May 1923   L&NER       ( No full stops )

June 1923  LNER        ( No '&' )

If this is true, then D21 1242 was photographed around May/June 1923.

Yes, but if those are the dates of introduction, they only give you the earliest date at which these styles might have been seen. What it doesn't tell you is how long any of these remained on a particular engine or tender until it was replaced by a later style.

Nick

Quite right Nick.  For example, Great Eastern 0-6-0T E22 (LNER J65) no. 152 was given the L.&N.E.R lettering on 26th April 1923. It was then renumbered 7152 in October 1925,  but retained the (by now long superseded) L.&N.E.R. initials until at least April 1927.

I've also got a photo of J69 7342 with the L&NER (no stops) lettering running on 30th April 1927 and I believe it remained like this until September 1930.

Stratford always was slow in transition, painting some locos and stock in the GER livery well into the late 1920s which means they ran in that livery well into the 30s!  I have a sneaking suspicion this was cockney contrariness and a two-fingered salute to the LNER management for reducing Stratford from an innovative building works to a repair and paintshop, and I'll bet it infuriated them no end.

I'll go for Gilfach Ddu station on the Llanberis Lake Railway. Loco - possibly Dolbadarn?

Andy

Congratulations to the winner, 2mm Andy.

The Llanberis Lake Railway was filmed from the start of the day preparing the engine and working trains from various vantage points along the whole route as well as on the footplate with Phil.......Usual disclamer duly signed. ......The avatar shows PGH filling the tank of Hunslet No.3 'Dolbadarn' built in 1922.

As others have said, a fantastic set of pictures PGH, thanks for posting. The sheer quality of pictures taken in this era never ceases to amaze me (the Locomotives Illustrated series always seems to have wonderful portraits, with pin-sharp detail, so valuable for modelling). This set is up there with the best of them.

Some fascinating images on here. Thank you for sharing. It is incredible how clear old photos like these, probably taken on huge glass plates, can be. They're really the closest you'll ever get to owning a time machine. I've spent many an hour browsing the Shorpy website looking at images like this:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7418?size=_original#caption

So much detail and over 100 years ago.

Arp

I, for one, would love to get a larger resolution scan of this baltic tank, to see all the detail like shown in the closeup of the rivet line...  (we're talking 3k x 1.5k pixels)  What a marvelous photo of a really interesting loco.

Many years ago, so the story goes, a friend of mine purchased a secondhand book and found within it an envelope containing 14 negatives.  As he had no interest in photography he passed the negatives on to me, which were duly printed then filed away.  There was no indication with the negatives on where, when or by whom they were taken although some were obviously taken shortly after the 1923 Grouping.  I have recently done digital scans from these negatives and thought the results might be of interest to RMweb members and may possibly produce suggestions on where some of the photos were taken.  What is fairly remarkable about these negatives is the range of subjects covered, they include an industrial loco and locos from the following pre-grouping railways: Cleator & Workington Junction, Furness, L&NWR, Midland, Highland, North Eastern and Great Northern.

attachicon.gif4.LMS 11100.jpg

LMS 11100 was the first of the 5 handsome Baltic tank locos built by Kitson in 1920/21 for the Furness Railway and used on express and mail trains between Carnforth and Whitehaven.  The loco is standing on the ex Furness line at the north end of Carnforth Station in front of the 1903 Carnforth Station Junction signal box.  The buildings on the right are on the far side of a road behind the wall and are still standing today (or they were when Google street view passed that way !) but the chimney of Carnforth Ironworks behind has disappeared.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found this thread after itr was mentioned in the Midland railway Society's journal that arrived today.  It is Midland 1102 class 0-6-0T  which in 1920 was shedded at the Midland's Carnforth shed.  Like most of the shunting locos up in the North west it had an overall cab fitted.  It may well ahve stayed at carnfortrh until withdrawal in 1928.  The shed is still in existence situated on the north side of the line to Wennington just east of the A6 and in use as a transport depot.  The photo may well ahve been taken on shed as the wagons are ex MR loco coal ones.   The photo is of great interest to me as the Lancaster Green Ayre team are modelling 3 locos of this class and Lancaster only had 2 so I have been looking for a  decent photo of one from either Carnforth, Hellifield or possibly Ingleton.  Would it be possible for you to let me have a copy of the photo.

Jamie

• 1 year later...

I have a feeling that the two photographs of the 0-6-0 S.T. "Millgrove" might also be at Carnforth.

On further thought I feel quite sure that it is Carnforth; the roof girder and bracket, the canopy slightly longer than the adjacent overall roof, the proximity of the Signal Box to the Platform end and the cutting side all suggest Carnforth prior to the 1938 rebuilding.

I'm no carriage expert, although there is a man on here who is, but I also think that the loco. is employed on a shunting dury of some description with, in the first photograph, what looks like a Furness Railway (or L.N.W.) Brake 3rd. whilst in the second appears to be coupled to a carriage of L.N.W. origin.    

Just come across this thread, if it is Carnforth it's at the south end of the station it's changed a lot. but it looks right to these photos,

post-8920-0-01172000-1432764664_thumb.jpgpost-8920-0-72391300-1432764664.jpgpost-8920-0-59679400-1432764698.jpg

OzzyO.

Archived